Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yellow fin tuna flies

Default Yellow fin tuna flies

Hi there

Anyone got any kick-ass flies to suggest to use for YFT? Might have an oppurtunity to fish for them in the next couple of weekends.

Any SBS, pics or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Beefy
    Last edited by beefybovril; 07-02-10 at 06:06 PM.

howdy

YFT fly selection depends on what the fish are "keyed"" in on
    if they are eating baitfish when you find them
    then candies ,flashy profiles and the good old clouser in the size and color of the bait fish works a charm

If you chum them to the surface the use a chum fly

the Tuna rab and "Damaged Baitfish " work for me

Tip : cut the chum to the size of your flies
    you can also mess with the thawing of the chum to get it to sink at the rate of your fly Frozen= floating

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Damage is spot on with his advice!

One other thing mate, if you do get the 'fin, make sure your approach to the feeding schools is done properly, otherwise you'll end up putting them down.

'Fin are insanely annoying to try get to eat a fly at times - they can be the pickiest bloody things, and just because they might be smashing up behind your boat don't mean they are gonna eat.
    As Damage says, they key onto something, and come hell or high water, they won't switch to something else.

My go to flies have been cube flies, although small baitfish imitations have also worked well. In this instance, it is better to have smaller flies as opposed to larger off shore type patterns.

You must remember when fishing smaller hooks and fly patterns to adjust the amount of drag you are putting on your fish. I've had blokes hook up on size 2and 4 hooks with 15kg leaders who complain bitterly when the hooks straighten - Not kidding!!

Good luck mate on the 'fin - they are great fish to catch!
    Oh, one last thing.....eat your oaties before you go - these fish pull harder than a 14 year old boy!

Tell me, you guys that fish for tuna. Do they release ok, or do you have to kill them. I have been told that tuna die after being caught as they simply don't go back...is this true?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Blog Entries

When Tuna is caught,the longer it takes to get on the boat,the worse off it is, they release Lactic acid (they ineffect heat up). Here is a quote from a blue fin fisherman...

Biologists in conjunction with a panel of Blue Fin Tuna buyers. The problem under consideration was scrombrotoxin poisoning, also known as histamine poisoning, resulting from present methods used during the handling process. During the struggle of the catch, toxins (lactic acid) are released into the flesh of the fish and the core temperature of the fish rises as a result of this. The buyers want the flesh cleansed of these toxins and the temperature reduced as soon as possible. The old method of instantly icing the fish allowed the core temperature to remain high because the toxins remained. Eliminating the production of this natural poison would secure the best quality (and thus most valuable) meat at market.

I think its logical to deduce from this,if you do not let the tuna run along side the boat to cool down and reduce trhe toxins before you release it,it will die.
    Check out the swimming hooks they use..

http://www.southchathamtackle.com/Tu...ming_Hooks.htm
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Nick
    I think that Has got more to do with the pedantic blue fin eater (read killers)
    the fight pushes blood into the muscles making it darker and the darker the meat the less they pay for it

The water of cape point is cooler so the temp elevation is negligable

the lactic acid as with humans will dissipate with recovery time and doesnt kill the fish

the killer with tuna is that their gill plates do not "pump" water through their gills so they need to keep moving to get the flow of water over their gills
    the minimum speed is 1 bodylength per second

the reality with YFT the only way to boat it on a fly rod is once it is well n truly stuffed

if you want to release it fight it as quick as possible
    and as soon as as its on the deck put the deck wash in its mouth and get the hook out quick
    when you release it throw it like a torpedo into the water
    /d

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Blog Entries

Question Chum fly

Hi,
    Heard so lot about a chum fly but has never seen one. Any picks out there?
    Niel

Thanks chaps

There is a bay called Khor Najd in Oman, Mussandam area, where the YFT come in often. Chaps have been targeting them from a kayak, and reckon that they have actually floated over the exploding shoal. I guess with no engine, this is possible. Thought of giving it a shot with a fly rod if I can get close by, but am worried that I could get towed out to sea........and guess if I do hook up there would be very little chance of releasing it alive. Will have to wait and see if I can find the tuna first.....

Could be a fun day out

Quote Originally Posted by Niel Malan View Post
    Heard so lot about a chum fly but has never seen one. Any picks out there?
    Yep......this might help!

Image Removed
    Last edited by Kevin James; 04-03-10 at 08:38 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast