Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Favourite Flies for Trout

awesome pic darryl , as always
    "Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time."

Great Pic Darryl.

Again you humble us with your skill and ability with a camera

I am going to go home and try this perspective.

Just a Q for you masters, How many "legs" do you tie onto a RAB? I have seen 4,5, and 6 (if 5, why and how are they spread out)
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

great shot and great looking fly Darryl. I like the banded legs very much. Sits just perfectly in the water too. Well done
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Great Pic Darryl.

Again you humble us with your skill and ability with a camera

I am going to go home and try this perspective.

Just a Q for you masters, How many "legs" do you tie onto a RAB? I have seen 4,5, and 6 (if 5, why and how are they spread out)
    Hi Wade,

I have yet to find a fish that can count I use anything from 4 - 8 legs on a RAB depending on what material I am using for the legs. For RAB legs I usually use a large bronze body feather which I find in areas frequented by egyptian geese and hadedas - not sure who the feather is from.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Wade,

I have yet to find a fish that can count I use anything from 4 - 8 legs on a RAB depending on what material I am using for the legs. For RAB legs I usually use a large bronze body feather which I find in areas frequented by egyptian geese and hadedas - not sure who the feather is from.
    THanks for the info Mr Lampert.

I tied a few for the first time the other night and i could not decide on the number to use so i have tied in 4 using pheasant tail but after reading your responce i think i am going to try some of the Hadida wing feathers that have that lovely blueygreen sheen to them.

Thanks again for the information

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    THanks for the info Mr Lampert.

I tied a few for the first time the other night and i could not decide on the number to use so i have tied in 4 using pheasant tail but after reading your responce i think i am going to try some of the Hadida wing feathers that have that lovely blueygreen sheen to them.

Thanks again for the information
    Whats with the Mr ?

Pheasant tail legs look nice on a RAB but I find they make the fly a bit heavy. Once you have tied your RAB, throw it up in the air and it should float down gently like a dandelion. If it falls like a brick then it's not a RAB !
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Whats with the Mr ?

Pheasant tail legs look nice on a RAB but I find they make the fly a bit heavy. Once you have tied your RAB, throw it up in the air and it should float down gently like a dandelion. If it falls like a brick then it's not a RAB !
    I done that with three of them over the pool but i was mostly looking at if they land the right way round and i am glad to say that they do, however when thinking back to it i realize that only one of them is truely "Light" while the others fall a little quickly.

Will head back to the bench and keep at it. Hopefully i will post a few pics of them soon as i have it "right"

THanks again Darryl.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    great shot and great looking fly Darryl. I like the banded legs very much. Sits just perfectly in the water too. Well done
    Thanks pellieg and chris.

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I use atpic.com to do the same thing
    Jasper....awesome pic that.

Darryl, also, great pic!
    Last edited by Michael; 31-01-08 at 04:47 PM.

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    how did you manage to get those photos to come up so big on the screen Shaun, or am I being dumb here? When I attach a 100kb file, it comes up as a thumbnail and needs to be clicked on to enlarge.
    Another way would be to host the pictures on your own server. You will then only insert the link in your posting and the image will appear directly on the thread page and to the otriginal size as created by you. Size is then purely limited to the available space on your own server. Barring a few initial posts, all my photo's are hosted on our own servers.

I still have something like 5500 Gigs of space left!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5