Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiger and Salt outfit

Booger Rose Banned User

Default Tiger and Salt outfit

Maybe an easy question. Friend of mine wants to target tigers but in buyng the outfit and spending a lot of money, wants to use it for salt as well. The guys at fly-shop gave advice to buy a 10wt to use in surf as well, with a Di7 line.

My personal experience would be to go a bit lighter, but not everybody is happy cating a 5wt at Leeries and Tigers.

What would you say is the best wt fot tigers and basic salt. I also adviced him on getting an intermediate line and not the fast sinker. This is not my speciality so any help would be appreciated.

8WT is ideal (though I prefer a 7WT)

Reason for this is most of your SW lines start from weights usually castable better by an 8WT than by a 7WT.

I would also get the intermediate AND the fast sinker ~DI6 or ~DI7 for fishing the surf and estuaries, especially when the push is hectic and you want to get down to Kabeljou on the bottom or when the leeries are holding deeper. Both have their application and are must haves in my book.

Personally, unless you're getting into 5kg or bigger tigers on a regular basis, I don't see the point in using a 10WT or anything over an 8WT for that matter, if you're fishing ZA (ie : Jozini) then a 7WT will be more than adequate in most conditions except where the wind is really pumping (as it sometimes does at Jozini)

My ZAR 0.02, YMMV, HTH.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

ok a few things

I would probably go with a liter stick for shore based salt 8wt probably be heavy enough for tigers and still light enough to cast all day

he will need two lines

Tigers = quick sinker
    Salt = intermediate

I would not pay big $$ for the sinker get some t14 or t17 from streamx and make a Shooting Head

there are cheap inters out there but this is where i would advise him to spend some cash

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Booger Rose Banned User

Sounds like good advice on the 8wt. What will a decent size leerie do on 8wt compared with 10wt? Saw a big leersie keeping a 10wt busy for a while at the Breede. Luckily I did not hook that monster with my 5wt.

I'd go 9wt...with a nice crisp, fast recovery action (read: Not broomstick like a TFO...more like a G.Loomis GLX. Still light enough to cast for longer periods of time).

9wt in my opinion is ideal for tigers, and salt...especially if you encounter bigger fish and tigers over 10lbs.

I also agree on the intermediate line, if he wants to be more versatile with only one line.

Smile

Looking for an outfit that will serve more than one purpose usually calls for compromise.

For tigers I prefer a lighter stick, I use a 7wt but for the salt, surf in particular I would prefer a 9wt and personally I have an old Sage Rplxi in 9wt for the job. I have also used it for tigers and it works well.

So, if I had to choose, I'd go for a 9wt with the line selction as covered in previous posts.

One thing you will have to consider is the reel and the most important thing to bear in mind is that the outfit will be used in the salt. I would be inclined then to spend a little more on a reel that will handle the rigours of salt. The choice of reel will be subject to budgetary constraints and personal choice so I won't make any suggestions, but the choice of reel is very important.

A 9wt will also serve one well in any other situation where one is casting big flies to potentially big fish and LM yellows, bass on big bassbugs and barbel immediatley spring to mind.

You'll have all the bases covered!
    Fisherman - We're all born honest but we soon get over it!

Micheal

Why would you not take the TFO. As you know Im looking at almost the same thing So this is only for personall interste and the chance to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'd go 9wt...with a nice crisp, fast recovery action (read: Not broomstick like a TFO...more like a G.Loomis GLX. Still light enough to cast for longer periods of time).

9wt in my opinion is ideal for tigers, and salt...especially if you encounter bigger fish and tigers over 10lbs.

I also agree on the intermediate line, if he wants to be more versatile with only one line.
    This is very sound advice. I would also go for the 9wt. I mighg advise aginst the intermediate, depending on where you are fishing for tigers. If you are fishing the headwaters of a dam, and doing slow drifts from a boat, you have time for the intermediate line to sink, so it might be fine, but if you are fishing the Chobe, Zambezi, or the panhandle, you are going to need the fastest sinking line you can find, due to the fish being deep under the sides of the floating papyrus islands, and you will simply have the fly drifting over their heads with the current.
    So therefore , my advice is...
    A good crisp 9wt
    A good reel with a smooth drag
    An intermediate line for most occasions
    A fast sinking shooting line for those other occasions.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    Micheal

Why would you not take the TFO. As you know Im looking at almost the same thing So this is only for personall interste and the chance to learn.
    Mmmm...I could tell you, but then the TFO guys would have to kill me.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Ag please, and since when is a GLX not a forking broomstick ... it makes TFOs look like limp noodles ... but at 3 times the price ... that is logical.

If you have the bucks, get the G-Loomis GLX, I want one ... in fact I want two ... in every weight rating
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast