Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squid patterns

Default Squid patterns

there are a lot of stunning patterns out there tied by some talented fly tiers but most just seem too beautiful to use.Not only that but they look like they would take some time to constructing them. I needed a pattern that was quick n nasty and above all cheapish to tie. This one is the 1st of the 2 patterns I've come up with & can be tied in ten minutes if you have all the materials at hand before you begin.

started by attaching several white and 2 grizzly microbarb saddles near the bend of the hook. Then stuck on two 15 mm cheapo rattle eyes also at the bend of the hook and bug-bonded them together.

Then I took a 20mm strip of white raccoon zonker and wrapped that around the hook and followed that with a 15mm strip of Olive raccoon zonker. Whip finished....jobs a good en!

This is another variation. I still used white and grizzly microbarb saddles for tenticles & also added 2 strands of holographic Xmas tinsel down each flank. The main body is a combination of white and pink marabou hairline feathers.

A super super light fly to chuck and it moves and breathes very similar to a squid.
    Last edited by PikeFFArticles; 02-03-10 at 04:11 PM.
    "If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough it will sooner or later become the right fly"
    John Gierach

http://www.pikeflyfishingarticles.blogspot.com
    http://www.balticpikeflies.com

Nice squidee's Simon.

Very jealous of your micro-barb saddles...they look too good to use!
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Fantastic patterns.

What do you guys up North target with these ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Shot manne!
    Jan you'd be surprised...shocked in fact how many of those grizzly microbarb I go through per month....let alone white brown, pink, chartreuse. They give such life to my pike flies.

scythe
    Well I'd definitely use them on Northern Pike but these are a couple of samples for a fishing charter company in Jamestown in the States. Small squid are fare game for a number of pelagic and northern hemisphere species though.
    Last edited by PikeFFArticles; 02-03-10 at 09:20 PM.
    "If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough it will sooner or later become the right fly"
    John Gierach

http://www.pikeflyfishingarticles.blogspot.com
    http://www.balticpikeflies.com

Wow, these are nice ties, well done.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Default Rusty Squid, 3/0

Another version that is simple and neat, collar is arctic fox, tail is orange saddles, flash blend, unique hair, eyes are on a length of braided pearl mylar, stuck together about an 1 1/2 - 2 inches back from hook. Mono thread.
    The fox is wonderful in the water. When squid are alarmed they flash red to orange color. Long strips. I use it for stripers and tuna.
    Hook should be short shank and a big gap, like an 800 SP, Diachi.
    Fox is easy to dye, as well as saddles to get the color you like. Normally I fish it on a floater to see it, and the grab.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by flysailor4me View Post
    Another version that is simple and neat, collar is arctic fox, tail is orange saddles, flash blend, unique hair, eyes are on a length of braided pearl mylar, stuck together about an 1 1/2 - 2 inches back from hook. Mono thread.
    The fox is wonderful in the water. When squid are alarmed they flash red to orange color. Long strips. I use it for stripers and tuna.
    Hook should be short shank and a big gap, like an 800 SP, Diachi.
    Fox is easy to dye, as well as saddles to get the color you like. Normally I fish it on a floater to see it, and the grab.
    Thankyou!! wondered what I would use my arctic fox for.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Arctic fox in my view is very durable. But compared to mink, does not have the versatility or movement required from fur. Offshore patterns could work, no doubt, I would go for it.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

my first attempt at a polar fibre silicon squid:

not fantastic hackle or anything really... but a design that could work out well
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

amazing!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast