Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valley of the Rainbow

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Max View Post
    My father in law stays 7km from this venue, so I go there +-10 times a year.

I was there last weekend for the day. I landed 6 trout in total. All were in the 500g range and VERY skinny. Seriously, I have never seen such skinny fish. Orange hot spot (2) and red eyed damsel (4) were the only flies that produced. I used a intermediate line with a slow retrieve.

Dam 3 is unfishable due to grass covering pretty much the whole dam.

The fishing the last year has become tough. 2 - 3 years ago all dams produced good fish ( 1 - 1.5 kg) with almost no bass. Now the bass are running wild.

I have a theory why the fishing is so bad.

1. I usual keep 1 fish to see what they are feeding on. The past 3 visits all fish were empty. Not even a bloodworm. I am of the opinion the bass has become major competition when it comes to the limited food source.

2. There are 1000's of bass fry that swarm around your fly, thus attacking any other fish that tries to go for the fly.

And another venue sees it's GAT through poor management

The decent venues are becoming fewer and fewer.

There is a huge gap opening up in the market for well managed and run venues.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    And another venue sees it's GAT through poor management

The decent venues are becoming fewer and fewer.

There is a huge gap opening up in the market for well managed and run venues.
    Words couldn't be truer! Lets only hope those few 'good' venues can keep up the good work - which in my eyes is keeping the fishing good - because i'm happy to pay for decent fishing!

Thats maybe where syndicates take an advantage over public venues! The fishing is well maintained and you as a member have a say over how things are run - but then you are tied down to xx weeks a year etc
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Well chaps,

As for my weekend away, I'll start off by saying we had a good stay and the venue was beautiful and relaxing.. We stayed in the tented chalets, which look across the dams..

As for the fishing, well only a few rainbows...stockies as some chaps mentioned in previous posts.. Caught a few bass too and they certainly are a problem..

The managers at the venue, Jannie & Susan, are aware of the problem and would like to do something about it. The issue is that they do not own the venue and therefore need permission from the owners, which apparently is proving difficult..

All in all a good weekend! On the Saturday evening, we watched the Stormers march on victorious again.. Fishing and rugby with an ice cold beer.... Perfect!!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Fished the venue on Saturday. Dam 1 and 2 were stocked the previous week, so plenty of fish. Landed 6 with the largest being 1kg. I checked the log book and someone managed a 2.2kg two weeks earlier. 2 landed on floating line using egg pattern, the rest were taken on a black millionaires taddy, fast strip retrieve.

Once again plenty of good sized bass. Was actual not bad at all as I was sight fishing. Nice to see the takes and then cull them.

They are cleaning up dam 3 due to weeds. It should be OK in a months time to fish.

Over all a good days fishing.

Fished there on Saturday. It was a hard days fishing. Only 4 landed. The strange thing was all on dry flies. 1 on a hopper and the rest on egg patterns fished pretty much static. Biggest fish was 1.6kg. Hooked one of the grass carp using a taddy and it kicked my butt. Only saw a glimpse of it before it took of and just kept on taking line until the 5X parted. Good news is no bass cough or seen.

Did some river bashing and I have to say the river looks very promising. A lot white water flowing into deeper pools. I am convinced there should be some wild trout in there. Will try it again in the near future.
    Last edited by Mad_Max; 28-06-10 at 09:20 AM.

Hi Chaps,

I was wondering if there was any more recent feedback about this venue, the fishing and the previous bass problem. I am booked into the Country House over the long weekend and was looking forward to some good fishing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12