Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pomene, Mozambique

Default Pomene, Mozambique

Just got back from 8 days at Pomene, Mozambique. Thought I would give a bit of feedback as I had previously found a lot of info and inspiration from other’s reports.

Had a really great time. It is a great place for a holiday. Very pretty scenery, lots to do apart from fishing, and very friendly management. We did selfcatering, but made a lot of use of the bar and restaurant facilities as well.

Fishing wise, loads of potential, with the estuary increasing the scope of what can be done from the side. I picked up small kingies regularly, especially around the estuary mouth at the turn of the tide. Bigger fish was around, and I saw some spectacular chases and smashes but no luck with the bigger fish. We also explored the estuary with a boat, and picked up some snapper on plugs against the clay banks, as well as better size greenspot kingies and small pickhandles. I started leaving the flyrod behind on these trips, its just not a good idea to try with fly on a boat with 3 people casting plugs and lures.

The first 4 days the weather was a bit on its head, with conditions changing from dead calm to almost gale in a matter of 5 minutes, 10 times a day. We did not leave the protection of the estuary, but day 5 my friends went out into the bay and got a cuda trawling. The next day conditions looked ok, and I joined the boat for a trip to zambia reef, quite a distance out. Before the trip, I purchased a second hand 12 weigh explorer guide and a fast sinking 500g line to try ofshore from the boat. I was quickly disillusioned. This was not going to be as easy as the magazines make it look. The weather changed for the worst again and we went home, a very bumpy ride back. The next day we went to a closer reef, which is much shallower (15-20m). My friend quikly got hookups on dropshot and jigs. I tried again with the fly, and I was really happy to get a smallis yellowspot on my second attempt. Had two more hook-ups, one the fly pulled, and the second one the fish was a bit stronger and just run me into the bottom and broke of. This was more like it. The next day we were at the same spot again. Now it was action all over, with each drift producing hook-ups. Yellow spots were the most abundant, the ocasional bluefin was around, and my friend landed a few gt’s as well. The one time he shouted that a monster gt has followed his plastic up to the boat but have turned short. At that moment my sinking head has just completed its swing, and I started stripping hard. The rod was almost pulled out of my hand, but I managed to hang on. Then the fish started running, I was in the backing in a second, and though I tried to apply brakes there was no stopping, and I got breaked off. The rest of the afternoon and the next day went on along the same, but unfortunately the taxman has became aware of our fortune and hanged around the boat to claim his share. I was using straigh 33lb hard mono as a leader, but with the added pressure of the vaaljas, I borrowed a piece of 120lb mono to use for leader. I got my biggest fish, a greenspot of around 65cm by just hanging on and not giving him an inch. A bit later the taxman (a zambezi of around 1.5m) took a fish from me again, and got himself hooked up. Long runs into my backing, a follow with the boat, a bit of pumping and then he did it all over. I was surprised that the leader held, and in the back of my mind started laughing at the idea of actually getting it out. But after 10 minutes or so the flyline snapped, just beind the braided loop.

All in all, I had much fun. Fortunately I reminded myself beforehand to be realistic with my expectations. The 12 weight was put to good use and I learned a lot. Fishing from a boat has its challenges, but I will definitey do it again. Attached is some pics.
    cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

awsome !!!
    nice report
    glad the fly held its own against the conventionals

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Nice report. I camped at Pomene for a month in 2003, when it was still a very rustic resort. I believe Barra Resorts have tarted it up somewhat?

Did you fish off the point at the old hotel? We saw some rather large GT's cruising off there more than once.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Nice report chap!

I love those little bluefin kingies... They're really beautiful looking fish!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

its definitely 'tarted' up. swimming pool, restaurant, bar, honeymoon rooms etc. reckon you could take a city girl there and she wont complain. the self catering is basic. camping facilities is also available. it was very empty while we were there, but could imagine to become bussy over high season.

The hotel point was on my list of places to check out. have also read somewhere about gt's cruising around. we went there for the day but the surf was really rough, the tide not right, excuses excuses. we ended up sitting under the trees drinking beer. which was not to bad.

would love to be there for a month. did you try with fly while you were there?

Quote Originally Posted by adriaan View Post
    its definitely 'tarted' up. swimming pool, restaurant, bar, honeymoon rooms etc. reckon you could take a city girl there and she wont complain. the self catering is basic. camping facilities is also available. it was very empty while we were there, but could imagine to become bussy over high season.

The hotel point was on my list of places to check out. have also read somewhere about gt's cruising around. we went there for the day but the surf was really rough, the tide not right, excuses excuses. we ended up sitting under the trees drinking beer. which was not to bad.

would love to be there for a month. did you try with fly while you were there?
    That's a pity about all the development, but a swimming pool would have been welcome when I was up there. It was still very untouched, with loads of shells on the beaches and no local chaps to bother you. Heaven!

I tried with the fly, but to no avail (there is permanent wind in December /Jan in that place!). I had good fishing in the mouth on BIG surface plugs and heavy spinning gear, and we had great fishing off the boat in the estuary and on the shallow reefs. I also did some excellent spear fishing off that old hotel point!

It's a fantastic location, despite the 22 hour drive it took us to get there

Been to Pomene again last week, good action with baitfish and birds. Kingies and bonito accepted the fly..

Phew, those birds are sure doing their thing. Looks like another lekka trip. Well done. I need to get some fishing done quickly.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Great going Adrian, enjoyed your report.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Default Eish

I was planning a trip up to Pomene for next year May. But it seems that they have just had a little price increase for their 2012 rates - 67%!!!

Looks like Barra Resorts finally managed to stuff up yet another lovely location...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast