Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: urban flyfishing DVD - Johburg

Default urban flyfishing DVD - Johburg

Hi guys
    I work for a wildlife film company and plan on doing an urban flyfishing documentary as a side project. Plan on doing it in the johberg and pta area as thats obviously where i stay. If anyone has some info on spots they have had success in and around johburg and pta i would be greatly appretiative. all species welcom and all rivers, streams and spots that may hold a fish..
    Im will also need a flyfisherman or 2 with some spare time and a willingness to have some fun and put together an urban flyfishing dvd with an underlying conservation theme to help revive and conserve our urban waterways.
    (i obviously would love to be the one throwing the line but someone is gonna have to man the camera haha)
    like i said its just a side project im working on, on my own. So if anyone would like to help out that would be great!!!

Chris

Sounds pretty cool!!!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Yeah ... a pretty cool way to find out where everyone else is fishing when the Vaal has PMS!

Sounds like a fun project, makes me think of that video done by a Belgian or Dutch fellow about catchin chub in the canals in Amsterdam or some dutch city.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Yeah ... a pretty cool way to find out where everyone else is fishing when the Vaal has PMS!
    I was thinking the same.
    check out online trailer of Barry Reynold's Urban Warfare - makes you wanna go on the hunt for golden ghosts.

I can share a pretty cool true story about a pretty disgusting fishery: Benoni Lake.
    A Wimpy breakfast with a mate in Lakeside centre whet the appetite. From the deck, we saw several large barbel and bass cruising by. Enquiries were made, but we were disappointed to hear that fishing was prohibited.
    A quick recce revealed only two security guards around the lake, one of them plainly either sleepy or hungover. We also found an ideal base for preparations in the parking area of the medical centre across the road.
    Back at home, float tubes were loaded and a stop at the KFC secured the universal currency for bribery: A Streetwise 2 meal with a Coke.
    Indeed, the bribe secured assistance from the security guard in charge of our preparation base. He would keep an eye on the car and tell any enquirers that we were legal and above board. With tubes pumped and rods rigged, we dashed across the road for a jump-launch and a quick paddle into the lake where we couldn't be reached and where we could pretend we were out of earshot, much to the dismay of "Sleepy" who awoke with the realization that he would probably be in trouble. Long story short: My mate Morne got the biggest carp I've ever seen taken on fly by casting a strip leech to what he thought was a barbel. Cheering spectators hung from every window of the mall - it was like a Bass Classic Weigh-In when he finally lifted the fish and one of the most memorable urban fishing experiences of my life to date!

Quote Originally Posted by markk View Post
    i can share a pretty cool true story about a pretty disgusting fishery: Benoni lake.
    A wimpy breakfast with a mate in lakeside centre whet the appetite. From the deck, we saw several large barbel and bass cruising by. Enquiries were made, but we were disappointed to hear that fishing was prohibited.
    A quick recce revealed only two security guards around the lake, one of them plainly either sleepy or hungover. We also found an ideal base for preparations in the parking area of the medical centre across the road.
    Back at home, float tubes were loaded and a stop at the kfc secured the universal currency for bribery: A streetwise 2 meal with a coke.
    Indeed, the bribe secured assistance from the security guard in charge of our preparation base. He would keep an eye on the car and tell any enquirers that we were legal and above board. With tubes pumped and rods rigged, we dashed across the road for a jump-launch and a quick paddle into the lake where we couldn't be reached and where we could pretend we were out of earshot, much to the dismay of "sleepy" who awoke with the realization that he would probably be in trouble. Long story short: My mate morne got the biggest carp i've ever seen taken on fly by casting a strip leech to what he thought was a barbel. Cheering spectators hung from every window of the mall - it was like a bass classic weigh-in when he finally lifted the fish and one of the most memorable urban fishing experiences of my life to date!
    classic !

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    ... when he finally lifted the fish and one of the most memorable urban fishing experiences of my life to date!
    Awesome story
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Great Story Mark.....love it
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

haha, nice story mate. makes me wana make this docie even more.
    I guess i didnt think it through when i asked all you guys to give me your secret spots in jhb.. or did I haha
    I just had a look at that urban warfare trailer.. looks awesome and pretty much exactly what I wana do for jhb.
    Scythe.. you got a link or something i can have a look at bout that dutch guy catching chub in the canals in amsterdam?

I caught some bass and barbel in Homestead lake, Benoni. Also bass and the odd perch in Florida lake, but I hear that's gone south... There were plenty of ponds in Springs area with bass, barbel and carp open to the public. If you can track down "Oom Louis" (van der Westhuizen) he'll put you onto endless urban barbel waters. No place was ever too disgusting for him to fish. Which reminds me - there's also the appropriately named Cholera Creek out West, where the odd Largescale yellow might still survive to this day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast