Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What Vice

Default What Vice

Hey everyone,

I am looking at buying a new vice. I was just wondering if there is anything that I should look out for before I buy.

I was looking at the dan vice, but haven't made a final decision as yet.

I won't be tying to many flies on #20 hooks but the need may arise one day so I would like to at least have the ability to do that if I need to. Also I tie some rather large or should I say, heavy flies, in #8 and # 10 so I need to have something that can handle these sizes aswell.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Dizzy, I think this question could be more easily answered if you provide us some sort of ballpark figure as to how much you are prepared to spend.

Sorry, I should've! Budget, limited by the swambo of course is R600 -R800
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I have an HMH Silhouette vice that I am pretty happy with, but it is a fair bit more expensive at around R1300.00. Unfortunately all the vices I have tried are all a bit more pricey, so sorry I can't give an opinion of vices in that price range.

Dizzy, if you are serious about your tying the only advice I can give is to buy the best vice you can afford. That way you're only sorry once.

Best vice I have ever laid eyes on is one Abel are producing, but it is very expensive, around R5k I think.

Sell your house and buy a Law.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    I have an HMH Silhouette vice that I am pretty happy with, but it is a fair bit more expensive at around R1300.00. Unfortunately all the vices I have tried are all a bit more pricey, so sorry I can't give an opinion of vices in that price range.

Dizzy, if you are serious about your tying the only advice I can give is to buy the best vice you can afford. That way you're only sorry once.

Best vice I have ever laid eyes on is one Abel are producing, but it is very expensive, around R5k I think.
    There is a local manufacturer in Durban who is supplying a custom made kit which hinges open, has place for all the odds and ends that the travelling fly tyer could possibly need , and detachable vise which slots into the base. Very impressive looking. Neil has such a set and perhaps he can give you some more info.(He ties down to #26) I believe the complete set goes for about R1500. Extremely good value for money!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    There is a local manufacturer in Durban who is supplying a custom made kit which hinges open, has place for all the odds and ends that the travelling fly tyer could possibly need , and detachable vise which slots into the base. Very impressive looking. Neil has such a set and perhaps he can give you some more info.(He ties down to #26) I believe the complete set goes for about R1500. Extremely good value for money!
    I believe you speak of the J vice, correct? Unfortunately, a little over the budget.
    Daryl Human

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    I believe you speak of the J vice, correct? Unfortunately, a little over the budget.
    I am not familiar with the name Dizzy. Neil can provide all the info.

For what it is worth, I am still using a old Indian made vice that cost me something like R150 ten years ago and it ties anything from a 1/0 Leerie popper to a #20 dry. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I am not familiar with the name Dizzy. Neil can provide all the info.

For what it is worth, I am still using a old Indian made vice that cost me something like R150 ten years ago and it ties anything from a 1/0 Leerie popper to a #20 dry. Nothing wrong with it at all.
    http://www.jvice.co.za

Some nice goodies

My current vice is also something similar to yours Chris.
    Daryl Human

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    http://www.jvice.co.za

Some nice goodies

My current vice is also something similar to yours Chris.
    I guess, like all good quality fly fishing equipment, an expensive vice is a nice thing to own, but not a necessity. I have always avoided the middle of the line price range stuff, making do with the lowest price range stuff until such time as I could afford the best. I will probably be spending about R3000 for the vice of my choice when I am ready, but for the time being, I will make do with my cheapy which still does a marvelous job.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast