Thread: largemouth yellows, and the law

Default largemouth yellows, and the law

For those of us that target largies, and love them, I wounder how many of us realise that we are breaking the law, and exposing ourselves to some very inconvenient and expensive legal issues.
    http://www.sportstrader.co.za/Pages/...e%20trade.html
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Does this goes hand-in-hand with my post under Green&Gold which relates to the Clainwilliams?
    "Vermoëns is wat mens in staat is om te doen... Motivering, bepaal wat mens doen... Gesindheid bepaal HOE mens dit doen.." ¬ Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Does this goes hand-in-hand with my post under Green&Gold which relates to the Clainwilliams?
    Yes, same law allpies. They may not be targeted or caught without the neccessarry permits.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    For those of us that target largies, and love them, I wounder how many of us realise that we are breaking the law, and exposing ourselves to some very inconvenient and expensive legal issues.
    http://www.sportstrader.co.za/Pages/...e%20trade.html
    This is just incredible! The act talk about permits, but the Government do not have the manpower to provide the permits. Where do we apply for these permits, who will decide if your application for a permit should be granted? For how long will a permit be valid? For what area will a permit be valid? The biggest question is who will enforce the act???

The way the regulations read, I can give myself permision to fish for LM on my land and then apply to who knows where for a permit to fish on my own farm.

So what if you are targeting smallmouth yellows and hook a largemouth? (Which happens all the time).
    Then it's a case of "Oops!" And you let it go after landing it. Which is what we do anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    So what if you are targeting smallmouth yellows and hook a largemouth? (Which happens all the time).
    Then it's a case of "Oops!" And you let it go after landing it. Which is what we do anyway!
    I just love targeting SM yellows with streamers and baitfish imitations.

I just checked the Biodiversity Act 10 of 2004 in terms of which the regulations were published. If you are found guilty of an offence in terms of the act you can face a penalty of up to R 10 milion or 10 years imprisonment!

Then they should start with the people netting and trapping fish below weirs and dam walls. Or are they not part of the legislation seeing that fish of all shapes and sizes are there livelihood???