Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Night Fishing

Default Night Fishing

Hey all,

So I read an article on another forum where these okes were night fishing for bass up untill 00h30 the next morning..

Q: Can you fish at night for bass with a fly? And what flies and technique would you use?

Q: Can you do this type of night fishing for other species of fish?

Q: Who can I join, and when?

Cheers

G

1.oh hell yeah, any topwater fly that makes a lot of noise in black, lots of fun just don't impale a #2 popper in your ear

2. yellows, catfish , carp

3.How about we give Roodekoppies a go at night on float tubes this w-end?? just kidding

Awesome! But seriously.. Are you keen? And where can I find glo beads???

Quote Originally Posted by OllieOwen View Post
    1.oh hell yeah, any topwater fly that makes a lot of noise in black, lots of fun just don't impale a #2 popper in your ear

2. yellows, catfish , carp

3.How about we give Roodekoppies a go at night on float tubes this w-end?? just kidding

I have fished a couple of times for trout on rivers, in complete darkness.
    Surface swinging of elk hair caddis, that creates a huge drag as it swings across or normal upstream dead drifing. Both creates big takes.
    On the Vaal, you will find that the SM's move right up to the side of the bank to eat the hatching caddis. in the last 30min before complete darkness.

Definitely worth the go.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

1st fish was taken during full moon at 9pm on a size 6 Black Wooly Bugger.
    2nd fish on an Olive Fritz. Both were caught sub-surface.
    [PS!! I know the tackle was a bit over-kill!!!]
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 06-05-10 at 02:49 PM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Damn that looks leke... If any1 wants to join me for float tube fishing at UJ`s private dam for bass or whatever lemme know!! Night fishing that is! There are facilities and its quite safe. I have access to the gates

And GLO BEADS???

Default night fishing

Hi there

I have had good success with trout at night. I used to fish this venue in Wakkerstroom often during winter. (on work trips but mostly after working hours ha,ha)

There was a spray light at the chalet which was situated on a slope across the inlet of one dam. You just tie on a black woolly B and Bob's your uncle (sinking line). It was freezing most of the time but well worth the effort.

Lost one trout in Dullstroom about a week ago on same strategy, but without any artificial light.

I 've also wacked yellows in almost pitch darkness on the Vaal with the usual patterns. Warning: don't attempt without headlamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Stef

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Damn that looks leke... If any1 wants to join me for float tube fishing at UJ`s private dam for bass or whatever lemme know!! Night fishing that is! There are facilities and its quite safe. I have access to the gates

And GLO BEADS???
    let me know.....could be fun
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

I mite go this weekend, so pm your cell nr and I will let you know!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by AquaBarbus View Post
    let me know.....could be fun

Yes yes!

Forget about the Vaal now for two reasons;too high and no more Caddis by the time you get to properly fish it later on.Rather try a baitfish approach WITH SOMEONE targetting Trout untill you can set foot on the Vaal again.

Your best bet is to do some Trout trippies but make sure the dates coincide with Full moon.Beter overhead light conditions for you and better contrast i.e.visibility of your fly fished in the upper water column or above any holding fish.That said, fish can see/feel in any type of light conditions provided that the object reflects UV.

The dark fly only approach has been very succesfull for myself with Trout in early morning hours but the theory has also been busted wide open in recent months.So in short,fish any time of the month to be succesfull but make sure your flies reflects UV.

Predator fish do most of their hunting at night anyway so make sure you have flies with the correct colour properties and focus less on profiles but remember to still include movement and bulk that push water.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 06-05-10 at 05:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast