Thread: Tigers - Mpungu NAM

Default Tigers - Mpungu NAM

Howzit Guys

I'm leaving for Northern Namibia this coming Friday for "work" purposes (amongst others), ha,ha. I am going to stay at Mpungu, which is about 130k's east of Rundu. Mpungu is close to the Cubango & Okavago rivers - I guess these are all like "headwater" rivers of the Zambesi catchment?.

One of the guys from work has caught a nice tiger from the bank with bait some time ago. I was wondering if any of you ever fished the area and could provide some advice? Apparently the rivers are quite high at this stage. I guess your chances will iprove drastically if you could fish from a boat. Unfortunately the only boats around seem to be the "Makorros" from locals. I dont know how safe it will be to do the "drift" in a makorro in high water.

Perhaps one can skip the river and fish the floodplains in stead, I guess the tigers would at this stage also be in these areas going after the baitfish. From a fly selection point of view, I got the following:

SF minnows in Olive/grey/white - blue/white - grey/white
    Whistlers in black & orange
    Clousers in chartr/white - tan/white

I guess the above will bring home the bacon. Just a last question, how do you guys strike a tiger on a slow retrieve? Just a strip strike or do you just speed up the retrieve after the take until you feel tension on the line and then strike with the rod.

I have had some experience at Jozini of just how fast these fish can hit a fly and just how fast you can miss that take!

Rgds

Stef

Going by what a friend told me after returning from that part of the world, remember to take along a light rod too. If the tigers aren't being co-operative, there is a world of exploration to do in the shallows where you'll find a multitude of bream species as well as African pike.

Stef

I've been on those makorros a couple of times. If you have a local balancing the thing its pretty safe, they know the water too, so its not a bad way to fish. I'd rather fish from a makoro than take my chances with hippo and crocs from the side.

Productive spots is the drop ofs, where the flood plains enter the rivers, there are always lots of tigers at these spots. Get the Makoro man to take you to some of his favourite fishing spots. Keep an eye out for birds feeding on fish (ryers etc. on the banks) Always fish around them in the river.

With regard to your flies, I agree, they should bring home the Bacon.

Good luck and enjoy!

Add some Olive zonkers with gold or orange tungsten bead heads to your arsenal - they're good for bream and smaller tigers below 2kg's.

Have fun!
    Check your knots!

Hi Stef,

I have fished close to that area twice, about 100km east of Rundu, but never when the river has burst onto the flood plains which I imagine it is at the moment so have not got much experience fishing the shallows.

Flies that worked for us in the main channel were very heavy synthetic clousers but you will probably not need the weight on the flood plains. They were on 4/0 Hooks.

The colours we had most success are the following:
    1) Black over Orange
    2) Purple over White
    3) Black over purple over orange

These worked for Tigers, Nembwe, Thinface Largemouth, Brownspot Bream, Sharptooth Catfish.

We also caught some fish on big deceivers, Orange and White, or White with a slight bit of blue.

All flies had a distinct eye, which i believe is important when targeting tigers and you could see it from all the scratch marks on the dumbells.

Strip strike as hard as you can.

To whet your appetite, here are two articles we wrote on our two trips we have done so far to that region:

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...hlight=kavango

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...hlight=kavango

Our Guide, Kevin Kibble, lives in Rundu, and although i am pretty sure he doesn't do day trips in the area, he may know of someone who does. PM me if you want to contact him and i will PM you his number. His choice of tackle for tigers is Fly Tackle and he has fished that area since he was a boy, so i can't imagine there'd be better people to talk to about the area.
    Last edited by gkieser; 12-05-10 at 07:05 PM.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Oh ja! And thanks for reminding me about that place.

I have to wait a whole frikken year until i go again!
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Default Tigers Mpungu

Hi guys

Thanks for the info & advice. I'll let you know how it was when I return.

Grant, I'll p.m you

Rgds

Stef