Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Brook trout

Default Fall Brook trout

This is a place I wouldn't mind visiting....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIzmEAPyO6o
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Ja boet ... those brookies sure are pretty.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

There was a confirmed capture of a brook trout from the Quthing in Lesotho in the 50's. I'd love to believe there are still a few of its great-great-grandspawn around. Unlikely, but hey we can all dream...

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    There was a confirmed capture of a brook trout from the Quthing in Lesotho in the 50's. I'd love to believe there are still a few of its great-great-grandspawn around. Unlikely, but hey we can all dream...
    Not brookies, but I've caught the occasional "rainbow" on the Karnemelkspruit which looked WAY more Cutthroat than rainbow. Weird, but stunningly pretty!!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    This is a place I wouldn't mind visiting....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIzmEAPyO6o
    Been there (SW Wisconsin), done that.
    AWESOME!
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

caught a few brooks in Colorado a few years back .. pretty fish!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Not brookies, but I've caught the occasional "rainbow" on the Karnemelkspruit which looked WAY more Cutthroat than rainbow. Weird, but stunningly pretty!!!!
    Hi Mario
    Some of the westen cape guys have been speculating about this also. Alot of the western cape trout look more like cutthroats than rainbows and every now and again you pick up a fish with a golden appearance with a bright orange stripe under the jaw. This phenomenom makes me think that we received a mixed stock back in the day or the strains were not entirely pure.

My 2c

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    Hi Mario
    Some of the westen cape guys have been speculating about this also. Alot of the western cape trout look more like cutthroats than rainbows and every now and again you pick up a fish with a golden appearance with a bright orange stripe under the jaw. This phenomenom makes me think that we received a mixed stock back in the day or the strains were not entirely pure.

My 2c
    Agreed Stan.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Booger Rose Banned User

Pretty fish!

The Brook trout are really pretty fish.

In Labrador, Canada, the brook trout grows up to 8 pounds.

A couple of years ago, I spent a week in the Catskills region, New York State.
    I fished a tiny little stream, what was amazing was how eager the little brookies was to take the fly.
    The water would look completely devoid of any fish, you put your fly down, and 3 or 4 little brookies shoots out from under the rocks, tree roots etc to tackle the fly. In the main rivers of the Catskills, no brook trout can be found, it is only in the little tribs.

What is interesting, is that in many parts of USA, the brook trout have been decimated by the introduction of rainbow trout. There are serious efforts to protect the local brook trout in certain areas. ( probaly not what some local people would like to hear. )

Here are a couple of photos of the little trib and the average brookie I caught in the Catskills.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Korrie; 17-05-10 at 04:08 PM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast