Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: its largie time...

looks pretty good for a first attempt! I would say that the way the visibility looks at the moment (< 10cm) you might want to tie something slightly darker ...
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    looks pretty good for a first attempt! I would say that the way the visibility looks at the moment (< 10cm) you might want to tie something slightly darker ...
    By darker, do you mean like a dark olive/brown/black tipe of coulour?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Stephan

There is nothing wrong with your colour combination in clear conditions, but if the water clarity is bad, dark olive, brown or black will do better. There is a saying the darker it gets, the darker the fly, this works for dark water or dark light. I ad something to this and include the bigger the fly. With regard to the fly you did a lot more right than wrong, one tip from me would be to tie in yor wing a litle bit more to the hook shank, that way you will be able to end the fly tiedier at the eye. Great job for a first atempt IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    Stephan

There is nothing wrong with your colour combination in clear conditions, but if the water clarity is bad, dark olive, brown or black will do better. There is a saying the darker it gets, the darker the fly, this works for dark water or dark light. I ad something to this and include the bigger the fly. With regard to the fly you did a lot more right than wrong, one tip from me would be to tie in yor wing a litle bit more to the hook shank, that way you will be able to end the fly tiedier at the eye. Great job for a first atempt IMHO.
    sorry for sounding "dumb" here but what do you mean with tieing the wing more to the hook shank

sorry for sounding "dumb" here but what do you mean with tieing the wing more to the hook shank
    A little bit further from the eye, closer to the bend of the hook.

yes, dark olive or even black would be more useful with the current vis on the vaal. Hopefully next winter will have better vis and we can go back to imatative patterns!
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Sorry my bad, I'm afrikaans, ment to say more on the shank, closer to the bend.

Stephan,

A good largie fly calls for a weedguard. Try and add one in the beginning of the sequence.

Your eye balz seems like it's ontop of the shank,your fly will fall over.Tie it in on the underside.

Colour combinations are up to you but olive and blacks are doing well currently.Also,never forget the greys.

would anybody care to give me some constructuve criticism on my flies I posted a day or so ago...geez..tough crowd this is...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    would anybody care to give me some constructuve criticism on my flies I posted a day or so ago...geez..tough crowd this is...
    Great job with the deerhair on the fly on the left. I would make the tail a litle bit shorter, otherwise a great patern. I prefer the zonker strips for largie flies. Let this baby hang below the surface with a slow retrieve under structure, it will be deadly!

Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast