Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: its largie time...

No, I'm sure the Sage can take the punch, just not sure it's worth risking a Sage for the Vaal (look what happenned). Ya, I forgot, it was a largie only thread, and yes the time is right for them.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Well done Guy

Please can you share your recipe for the flies?
    It's in one of the 2008 TCFF mag's - think either july, august or september (I saw the recipe last night while looking for something else).

If Barend doesnt post something, or you cant find the article, let me know and I'll send you the details.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    It's in one of the 2008 TCFF mag's - think either july, august or september (I saw the recipe last night while looking for something else).

If Barend doesnt post something, or you cant find the article, let me know and I'll send you the details.
    Definitely the AUGUST 2008 issue.

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    In short, what a great weekend... Friday afternoon's session didn't really happen as Alden (2 1/2 jr) decided to go with at the last minute and along with a heavy headache he was a handful. Must say he really enjoy being on the ARK and 'in the bush'.

Fished Saturday 06:30 - 18:00! My buddy got a 2kg at 07:30, I had a take at 10:30, got a 2,4kg at 16:00 [black deer-hair head GoTo fly with chartreuse marabou in tail and some flash]. My buddy had a MONSTER [estimated at 5kg follow to just below surface then spook before hitting].

PS: Got my LM by casting just upstream of a fish after seeing two subsequent rises in the shallow; let the fly drop, and BAM

Fished alone today, 06:30 until 14:00 [weather and wind was really weird from 12:00], got a 2,6kg just before 07:00 and a 2kg around 12:15 [both on a black deer-hair head GoTo with a small orange thread head].

I worked a LOT of water this weekend and didn't see any action anywhere [despite some great looking spots and at times some perfect placed casts] - it was weird, ALL fish came from the same general area - we fished an island with a lot of rock dropping off quickly into deep [2-3m] water, fish would take in the transition area. Although in the main flow area the line hardly moves, because of the depth and volume of water I suppose. The water nearby drops to 5-6m! I got fish when retrieving very slowly, sometimes hooking bottom structure.

Also broke my SAGE RPLXi 690-3 on Saturday when we had to push the ark and pontoon back through some MEAN rapids, lost footing and bumped into each other, my rod tip got stuck on my buddy's hook and he was drifting away - at least we both survived without any broken bones

Viz is much improved and is 50cm+

The were some MONSTER mayflies hatcing, did see splashy rises now and again but no real dry-fly action that can be targeted... there were also some monster catfish very active.

So, didn't get the big one this time, but at least I starting to get into the largies and I now have confidence in my deer-hair fly work.
    Hey Barend

Fantastic boet...well done to you guys
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post

Shweetness
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Nice one Barend, well done!
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Well done Barend,
    Gives one a bit more reason to "Go For It ".
    Did you swing a "pass" for this Sunday???
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

fantastic, well done ... there is hope afterall!
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

A couple more to try...

Whatcha think?
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Default Please Help

This is my first time posting a fly that I have tied. Now this is my first attempt at a bait fish pattern, which will be used for Largies...
    Please assist me in telling me where I am going wrong and where and if I did anything right...

Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast