Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 9 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 LastLast

Thread: its largie time...

Die punt wat ek maak is jy moet altyd reg wees want daai eerste hook up kan heel moontlik jou laasste wees make it count want vd 2de cast af niks.

Jy moes jou tweede cast, eerste gedoen het en eerste cast, tweede gedoen het.
    Dan het jou eerste vis op jou tweede cast gevang.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Gerrit,
    'n goeie guide, sal selfs in die middel van die winter, sy klient se droom vis, se leader gaan uit haal.
    Dit is dalk sy heel laaste vis, wat hy kon kry.
    Van nou af, neem ekstra stel droee klere saam.
    Jy kan maar net sê daar is krokodille in die rivier, geen vis is jou lewe werd nie ;-)

What a beast of a fish! Its a real pity it was killed though...

LM.jpg
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Hate seeing that.....not happy it had to die. That must be at least a 20 pound fish
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I was out on a Largie hunt this weekend trying to catch the first of these challenging fish while actually targeting them. I have caught quite a few while nymping...

I launched from a piece of private land belonging to a friend upstream of Parys. The Vaal has been hot with dry fly action for the last few weeks and I have caught plenty Smallies on dry recently. However they decided to drop flows from 10 cumecs down to 6 cumecs recently and the river was dead all day with barely a rise and it looked like it was going to be another day of "school fees".

Drift.jpg

Just before sunset I was about to pack it in when I saw the pool above me come alive with fish everywhere. They were very splashy rises which looked more like carp but thought I would check it out anyway. When I got there it did seem to be mostly carp but there were some yellows and barbel in amongst them too. I came up on a little section that looked perfect for Largies so picked up the 7wt and had a cast.

First cast let it sink slowly and and a couple of slow pulls later my fly got hammered. The fish gave me a decent fight but wasnt a huge fish by any means but it was a Largie so I was happy. Not the best pic and I dont usually like laying them down on something but this one jumped out of my grasp while I was trying to take a selfie so rather than tormenting it further I took a quick snap and popped it back.

Small Largie.jpg

I carried on working this section and 4 casts later my fly came to a stop and I thought I was hooked up on the bottom. As I was about to start working it free I could feel my line start moving off towards the rocky ridge nearby and I put the brakes on. Then all hell broke lose with a strong upstream run and again angling off towards the side. I managed to keep the fish in the deeper water and after a decent fight landed this beauty.

Largie1.jpg

Largie3.jpg

Again, not a monster but I was chuffed. Two Largies in a day on the Vaal is nothing to be sniffed at.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Nice Bryan!

oh yes, it most definitely is largie time

and the fly

---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Well done Mike.

Who Dares Wins.

Thanks Grant, worth the blood sweat and tears

Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 9 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 LastLast