Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fly Talk/On-the-fly Groenkloof Trip

Default Fly Talk/On-the-fly Groenkloof Trip

Hi All

For all those yellow fish fanatics FLYTALK in conjunction with ON THE FLY will be doing a trip to the ON THE FLY base camp on Groenkloof near Warrenton in the Northern Cape from Wednesday the 25th of August to Sunday the 29th of August. This fishery is based on an 800ha farm with a river concession of 7km. Largemouth and smallmouth yellow fish will be targeted and we will also do a day visit to Taung Dam, which is quite undiscovered and in some circles compared to Sterkfontein Dam.

Here is some more info. from Ettienne

Get back to nature. Get back to yourself. Get back to the adventure called life. ON THE FLY invites you to join us for fully-catered adventure in one of South Africa’s most beautiful natural environments.

Experience fly-fishing for powerful yellow fish in the contours of the Vaal River, as it cuts through the rugged semi-arid interior of central South Africa. Hear the majestic call of the Fish Eagle, while enjoying the company of friends as you fish the clear waters of this legendary river. Test your dry fly skills on the yellows of Taung dam and leave the logistics to us - We carry cart and cater. You just catch!

With ON THE FLY you can enjoy the tranquillity, fireside memories and the best in catered comfort and cuisine.

While we fish the ON THE FLY team will be catering for us. The trip cost of R3500 will include all catering and tented accommodation in ON THE FLY’s base camp. If you are almost hooked, see itinerary below.

Day 1:

Arrival in Warrenton where an ON THE FLY representative will meet you from where you will travel 20km to base camp. (Transport from Warrenton to Groenkloof can be arranged on request ) On arrival at camp there will be a quick orientation and safety discussion, after which you can do a bit of fishing while we prepare dinner on the fire.

Day 2:

While the one half of the group leave camp to do the Groenkloof drift on Ark inflatable’s, the other half will spend the day exploring and fishing. At Groenkloof time is on your side, and the ON THE FLY staff will adapt to your pace. There is 7 km of river to explore - so fish your heart out. We will spend time with you while on the water, and where required lend a helping hand to ensure your fishing experience is the best it can be.

The “drifters’ will be sent off with a lunch pack, after breakfast. The other half will have lunch next to the river, as not to waste too much fishing time.
    We will collect the “drifters” late afternoon at the end of the drift, and all meet at camp for dinner and fishing stories around the fire.

Day 3:

Hopefully everyone had a good night’s rest, as we will depart for Taung Dam at sparrow fart! – That is after a quick cup of coffee and rusks.
    On arrival at the dam, everyone will receive a day pack, which will include snacks to help with the energy through the day. We will meet on the banks of the dam where lunch will be served by ON THE FLY.

Dinner will be served back in camp.

Day 4:

We will follow the same program as the second day, except that the “drifters will wade, and the “waders” will drift! – if that makes sense???

Day 5:

The day of the sad departure!

You are welcome to stay and fish as long as you like, and for those that can make it, we will serve a brunch at a time that suits you. For those that choose to leave early, there will be coffee and rusks, as well as a “padkos’ pack for the drive home.

Menu.

The menu will be discussed and finalised with you on conformation of your booking. Have a look under the cuisine section to see an example of a typical menu - www.on-the-fly.co.za

What to bring.

We will send a detailed list of necessities on conformation of the booking. It basically boils down to your fishing equipment, a sleeping bag and liquor. The rest will be supplied by ON THE FLY.

Fishing

Groenkloof can be fished right through the year (except when water levels get too high, which we monitor and will be able to tell you well in advance). From the end of August right through to April the fish move into the shallower water as temperature increases, and we fish this time by wading in the river to likely spots. The days can get very hot, but with a 7 km swimming pool, there is enough space to cool down. As we come out of winter, the river should be very clear, and while on the drift the possibility to hook a trophy Largemouth yellow is always on the cards.

Costs.

This trip is packaged for a minimum of 4 people and sells at R3500 p.p. all inclusive. A deposit of 50% is payable on conformation, not later than 1 July 2010. The balance is due not later than 1 August 2010.

For bookings contact me on flytalk@telkomsa.net, 021 - 855 2646, 082 376 3529

I will ask Ettienne to post some pics here.

Regards,

Philip

Hi Guys,

Here is a few pics of Groenkloof, Ettienne has exlusive access to 14km of private water. I will be travelling up in my bakkie, so will have space for two more. Let me know via pm and I will send through a booking form.

Mark Krige fished the water with Ettienne at the beginning of this year and was very excited about the size of the fish this section of river holds.

The river flows right in front of the braai area where I am busy writing.

Blog Entries

Hi Phillip, is there a chance that another one of these trips is being organised later in the year....End of September begining of Nov? please Pm me if there is.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Hi Nicholas,

Not for the time being, I will let you know if other dates become available.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

The dates on the Groenkloof trip has been moved to the 1 - 5 September. There is two spaces left on this trip, I will be driving up from Somerset West and do have space in the bakkie. Let me Know and I will PM you the necessary forms.

Cheers,

Philip

Hi Guys,

Tying fleas like crazy, will post some pics. We're leaving 04:30 coming Wednesday. We had a pre trip meeting today and the guys are super psyched, a 4kg Smallmouth was landed here last week. Mark Krige landed his two best yellows at this spot in Jan. of this year. The clarity of the water has been compared to the Smalblaar.

14km Private water, 3 full days fishing, hier kom 'n ding.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Hi Guys,

Tying fleas like crazy, will post some pics. We're leaving 04:30 coming Wednesday. We had a pre trip meeting today and the guys are super psyched, a 4kg Smallmouth was landed here last week. Mark Krige landed his two best yellows at this spot in Jan. of this year. The clarity of the water has been compared to the Smalblaar.

14km Private water, 3 full days fishing, hier kom 'n ding.
    Please post a pic of the "fleas" you are tying...should be interesting.

jokes...

PS: Wish I was going with!!!!

Where's the report

Hi Guys,

Returned yesterday from Groenkloof, I will do a more detailed with more pics soon. This venue holds amazing potential as a world class fishery.

Cheers,

Philip

From Left to Right Mark Pitrowski, Kevin Reid, Grant Webster, Philip Meyer, Mike Barley, John Dearn.

Mike with a 3.8kg Smallmouth

Another solid Smallmouth, on average Groenkloof's Yellows are bigger than all the venues our group has fished before.

Around the fire, talking flies, techniques and other non fishing related topics

Nice. Cant wait to see the rest!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast