Thread: Big mako on fly......off cape point

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Big mako on fly......off cape point

Photos to follow...just got off water. Later karl

I am still editing pix. will send more later.

The Mako weighed (according to NOAA based on total length of 1.95m) 60 kg's , it fought solid for an hour. Made 1 or 2 good jumps. and for the rest we were in awe.

Earlier the week August nailed the grandmother mako , also in accordance with NOAA and its total length est of 250cm an estimate weight of 300lbs. The video footage is remarkable. Hopefully post some on youtube.
    Last edited by PezVela; 22-05-10 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PezVela View Post
    Photos to follow...just got off water. Later karl
    Well done!! A crafty specie, even on conventional tackle. Classed as a awesome gamefish by many.
    P.S. also very edible.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

hi karl...any more info or pics on this?
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Well done! Makos can be a bit of a pain off the point - especially when they steal your favourite X-rap...
    Looking fwd to more pics.

Just out of interest, how many mako's do you guys see realistically?

Are you actively fishing for them, or are they simply a by catch with the tuna?
    Just out of curiosity, how warm is the water temperature?

One of the things I have found, the warmer the water (too a point as they generally prefer colder water) is the harder they tend to fight. Too warm, and they just aren't there. Even though they can regulate their temperature, colder water fish are pretty mellowed out.

Best temp's I have found is usually (BETTER)>18-<21C (Little high).

Although, in having said that each fish is SO different - some are simply psychotic and others just pussies.
    On past boats I have fished, we used to do a lot of shark fishing, and mako's were top of the list as were BIG tigers (500kg's plus).
    Different fish though - one a bulldozer the other a true game fish.

Well done on the mako mate - nice fish on fly!
    I just wish I could find some that size out here - We'll hopefully find some this season.

Just for your reference, if that 1.95 meters is the correct length, your fish would be closer to 80kg's. This comes from the GFAA Gamefishing Journal weight/length chart and it is very accurate.
    Prepared by Dr Julian Pepperell, one of the leading figures in fish biology. Always nicer to have a bigger fish - <grin>

IMHO, these figures have been less than 5% inaccurate in the past on the fish we have taken for competition and records.
    Last edited by Kevin James; 24-05-10 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Add stuff

Don't want to speak out of turn but feel free to correct me. There are not many people targetting them here as far as I know. We usually see them after extended chumming. Blue sharks are the most common or our tuna grounds and then the makos - the temperature ranges are as you stated with 19 degs a good average cos that's simply the water tuna favour. The other time you become aware ot them is on the troll, when the ratchet goes ZZZZT! and then quiet. Pull up line and there is nothing on the other end. They seem to favour the bigger diving lures and I have heard fisherman successfully attracting them with large teasers (fender type). I think if you spend a day actively targeting them off CT, you'll most probably come right - they seem to be plentiful enough. If you guys are targeting them on fly, they are most probably chummed to the boat? I'd love to be connected to a (small) Mako, just for the ride!

ps. just looking at that pic again - I assume that is the 2m one? It looks like a young fish - what is the size of the hook used? Too small by the looks of it (damage to the fish)
    Last edited by will101; 24-05-10 at 03:23 PM.