View Poll Results: Please select the species you have caught

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only rainbow trout

41 28.87%
  • Only brown trout

0 0%
  • Both rainbow and brown trout (less that 10 brown)

37 26.06%
  • Both rainbow and brown trout (10 or more brown)

59 41.55%
  • I donít catch sissy fish like trout

5 3.52%
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Trout species (rainbow and brown)

Default Trout species (rainbow and brown)

So... have you caught both rainbow and brown, or only one species.

Should be interesting to see how many people have actually caught brown trout. I am a brown trout virgin myself but hopefully that will change very soon

Also, for the people that have caught brown trout, Im looking for a couple of tips. How does fishing for brown trout differ from rainbows?

I am lucky enough to say that i have on more then one occasion been lucky enough to catch brown trout!

But never in the cape
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

The more i target these fish in the western cape, the more I think their habits are quite different from rainbows. I am not sure if that is because of the differing habitat between the brown trout and rainbow trout streams here or if it is a characteristic trait of the fish themselves. What I mean is, If the smalblaar were filled with Browns instead of rainbows, would the river determine their behaviour, or would their genes. i guess a bit of both but i'm not sure which is more influential.

I think Brown trout's priorities are a bit different from Rainbows here in the cape. A rainbow will sit in a prime feeding lie with no apparent cover anywhere near it, but a brown seems to stick to feeding lies close to some kind of safe cover.

My experiences have taught me that they like the tail end of pools where there are big boulders for them to hide between and would prefer if those areas have grass or palmiet or something similar covering them.

I have seen some in prime feeding lies with no cover, but the fish move in and out of them constantly rather than stay there for extended periods like a rainbow seems to do.

Target anything that could give a fish cover. Narrow runs with steep overgrown sides also seem to be a favourite of theirs. On the little mooi in natal the undercuts of the steep banks were always the most productive spots so look out for undercuts too.

They also like to patrol the pools they live in, rather than sit upstream like a rainbow does for a lot of the day. This means that if you approach a pool you must be more stealthy because the fish could be heading down one of the banks towards you. I remember wading up the middle of a pool on the witte and a brown came cruising down the bank. I saw him before he saw me and froze, but as soon as I moved again to flick the fly towards him he bolted. So keep low and try approach pools from the sides rather than up the middle. The grass etc on the sides will also camoflauge you better.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Still a brown trout virgin, but hoping to lure some of them soon. Got a Golden trout on my list as well

A Golden Trout is not a species. It is a bastardized rainbow trout breed for the amusement of the vaalies !

I was lucky enough to catch LOTS of very big Brownies in Steenbras Dam about 25 years ago.
    I have also cought them in Colorado (see Gallery).
    I was also fortunate enough to catch rainbows, browns and BROOK trout on the same day!!
    (Ifind a RBT is still by FAR the most exciting trout to fight!)
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

yep, i've got me both, but i'm limited to just one solitary brownie
    the patient mental...

Caught plenty little brownies in Ireland. They're like cannon fodder over there...
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

I should probably add that I have only caught 1 WC stream trout. The rest were stillwaters or natal streams, but i have seen my fair share of WC brownies scattering all over pools to kinda get an idea of where they are and how they act.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I was lucky enough to catch LOTS of very big Brownies in Steenbras Dam about 25 years ago.
    I have also cought them in Colorado (see Gallery).
    I was also fortunate enough to catch rainbows, browns and BROOK trout on the same day!!
    (Ifind a RBT is still by FAR the most exciting trout to fight!)
    Jasper are those brookies as pretty as they look in pictures? Man they look like stunning little fish!

I agree wrt the rainbows being the most exciting fighters but there's something special about catching river browns, prolly cos it's not readily available...

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast