Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing bela bela

Default Fly fishing bela bela

Hi all,

Ill be in bela bela the weekend, do any of you know of some places I could fish while im there? Should I take my gear?

Thanks!

G

last time i was in bela bela i caught a really impressive puff adder ... that was about it
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

haha.. Atleast I`ll have a net.. So in a nutshell, I wont be needing my gear then....

Booger Rose Banned User

Always take your gear...

Never been to bela bela, so don't know, but I never travel without the gear. You just don't know.

I live in bela bela. You will feel sorry for me after you've been here. Nearest decent fishing around here is the tcff.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowcast View Post
    I live in bela bela. You will feel sorry for me after you've been here. Nearest decent fishing around here is the tcff.
    The dam at klein kariba held some decent bass and big bream when I was there a few years ago?
    Check your knots!

It stil does hold decent bass, thats if you consider bass as a fly target.
    Costs quite allot to go in at klein kariba. But all in all good fun on the right day.
    Size does matter! Smallstreams fill up big hearts!!!!!!!

Booger Rose Banned User

Swambo just told me Bela Bela is Warmbad! Sorry, didn't realise. What happened to the two dams in the resort? Great fishing there, nice bass and some huge Blou Kurpers.

Klein Kariba's dam also used to have some monster carp. Nice bassing as well as kurpers.

The dam at klein kariba used to be crystal clear, but i think the carp has changed all that. Used to be sight fishing. Caught nice bass, saw huge carp and bkurper.
    Last edited by shadowcast; 21-06-10 at 03:43 PM.

Hi all, so I got to warmbaths and sure as sh!t they had 3 dams there, and fishing was permitted... I took a walk down there Satday morning to see what I could spot.. BREAM!!! Murse bream!!! aka blue kurper.

Satday afternoon I went down again to fish for about 2 hours, it took me about 30 min to c what they were interested in though.. no takes on dry flies, buggers or minows! Eventially I took them down on a tiny black brassie with an orange bead and peacock thorax.. Man did I have a jol after that!!! I picked up around 20 or so fish within the hour, biggest was around 500g!! Hell those buggers can put on a fite

All and all im glad I took my gear, I wouldve been seriously dissapointed!! Is there any dams around jozi that have blue kurper in them? Or any other bream species that would take a fly?

Cheers

G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast