Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly fishing bela bela

Soz, by brassie I meant more as in a black baetis nymph

Cheers

You might just get me interested in fishing my home waters again. How was the water like. Muddy or clear. Were you at klein kariba? Was there a few years back, although i live 7kms from the resort.

I was at Warmbaths resort, the water was quite murky with viz being at about 20cm max.. I haven`t had so much fun fishing in a loooooooong time!! Those fish were fiesty and truelly put on a show fiting and jumping when realising they were hooked.. I`ve heard that Florida lake has got bream but have yet to check it out..

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Man did I have a jol after that!!! I picked up around 20 or so fish within the hour, biggest was around 500g!! Hell those buggers can put on a fite
    Wow, good going ... kruper are usually super tricky on fly! Where you sight casting?
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

I must admit, i did battle my arse off too get them to take the fly.. I noticed a lot of mozzie larvae so thats what made me decide to use a black baetis nymph. Site fishing yeah, strangely I first thought they were feeding on the surface but quickly realised that they were fiting and chasing each other in the water, which is why they jumped and surfaced so much. I figured it must be spawning time for them? So my strategy was to site cast to where they were surfacing and sure as hell I got the takes.. I did use a red zonker too but failed to hook one.. I guess their mouths were too small for the fly and kept on grabbing the zonker tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    .. I figured it must be spawning time for them? ...
    Wrong time of the year, early spring for sure, unless the water was exceptionally warm for some reason (like being fed from the warm baths ??? )

Were the fish you caught excessively blue (like think dayglo bluefin kingie blue) or excessively black ? (yuou can hardly distinguish their normal bands) ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Did you buy any chance measure water temp?

I did not measure the temp, but I did notice that it was not really as cold as I was expecting, I would say around 15'C @ midday.. The dam also was very shallow about 5m from the bank. The kurper were quite dark, almost black with very wide bands on the sides. Does colour explain seasonal changes? and/or spawning?

I mite be jumping to conclusions, but something that was very weird was that there were fish floating to the surface, alive, as if they were suffering from sudden shock. They would recover within a few minutes and then be gone. What is this? Has anyone come accross this before?

Why were they so aggressive? Could this be temperature related or are they just very territorial?

G

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12