Thread: Leeuwkloof Trout Estate

Default Leeuwkloof Trout Estate

I spent the weekend with SWAMBO at Leeukloof Trout Estate. The accommodation is really good, it actually felt more like staying at someone's home rather than at a fishing chalet. The managers, Paul and Maggy, made us feel really welcome.

I had a great time fishing, although the water levels in the the 2 ponds in "the kloof" were really low so I just fished the main dam in front of the chalets. On Saturday it was dead calm, no wind and the surface of the dam was glass smooth. The fish were seriously spooky in the clear, still water. I eventually managed one dead drifting a PTN on a long 5x leader.

I went back down to the main dam after dark and got one good rainbow on a black muddler. This is my biggest rainbow so far, the pic doesn't really do the fish justice.

On Sunday morning the wind picked up and the surface of the dam was rippled and the fish weren't nearly as spooky as the day before. I managed another 7 or 8 , including my first brown trout, Stumpie. You will notice in the pic that it's pectoral fins are just stumps.

All in all it was a great time and I am looking forward to another trip there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Sweet Man!
    Well done on some good fish!!
    Decent Rainbow that! And a good ol'e brownie! Nice!

Must have been the stop at "Place to Be" that started all the good luck on the water!
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

Thanks man. I can only be gratefull that The Place To Be wasn't open yet when we got to Belfast or the rest of the weekend would hve gone south very quickly
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Very nice fish there Andrew. That is a awesome browny.

well done !
    by the looks of it seems to be a nice venue with good fishing scope.

Looking forward to going there this weekend. I have heard from sources that the guys have been catching big. I've heard of catches of over 4 kg. I've heard that woolly buggers work well there. If there's any truth to this Ill surely find out