Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Snoek on fly off Cape Point

Blog Entries

Default Snoek on fly off Cape Point

Hey Guys

I luckily have the opportunity to catch some snoek fairly often out at sea off Cape Point using conventional tackle. I took a fly rod with me yesterday but struggled a bit. The fish were about 20-30 metres down and the other guys on the boat were jigging for them. I had a the right fly on, and being snoek they aren't to fussy - only problem was depth. We saw allot of action but I just couldn't get the fly down deep enough, fast enough.

Can anyone give me any tips on the best way to hook one of these guys down deep?

Many Thanks!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

I know there was an article in the TCFF a few months back..try see if you can get your hands on that. I also think there was a thread on the forum with regards to sinking lines for your application.. try see if you can do a search for it..

lakka
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

what sink rate line you using?

chaps to speak to are denton or conrad.....conrad is overseas at the moment tho
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Use the heaviest sinking line you can get or can use. I use a RIO deepsea Di8. The RIO T14 works a treat and sinks like a rock. When you cast, make sure you cast downstream of the boat. Then you will drift onto the line giving it much more time to sink deeper. sometimes you will be bringing the line in from underneath the boat. Wait till it goes straight and start to strip back. If they are around you will pick them up.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Saw some T17 line at Stream X the other day. A shooting head of that should work. A reasonable cast up current followed by a 45 second count should get you down to 20 meters.
    wat weet 'n mol van kaas

There we where, 10 against a thousand and boy did we get F@ked up, all 1000 of us

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

Isnt it ironic, we want to save the planet, should we not be saving ourselves. Btw did someone tell you your fuze is lit.

Best bet yet to follow, once you have hooked a snoek or y/tail, dont boat the fish untill others are on/hooked. Always keep a fish on the line, this brings the fish up to the surface. Being to hasty in landing your fish keeps the shoal deep. Patience!! will get them to the surface or just under in casting or hooking distance. Worked for me over plenty of years , mostly game fishing.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Firstly deep snoek on fly is not an easy target on fly with currents and comercials against you its a chalenge!

dont be fooled that snoek are not picky some days they can be very frustrating

there are 4 major factors to getting a fly deep

1. The fly

The answer to a deep fly is simple "weight" and a "streamline" shape
    and for me thats a Clouser ,Smaller flys also have less drag
    you need to weight your fly to get it to sink faster than your line

There are two main weight options lead wraps or Xtralarge Lead eyes (StreamX)

the yellow eyes are the "large"l(largest avalible) commercial ones the middle is the lead wrap metod that I used before the streamx "bombs"
    They are 12.5 mm big so you can put awsome big holo eyes on them (massive trigger )
    here are a few of my snoek clouser "chassis" in production

Lead eyes

Lead wraps

2.The line
    Ive posted lots about this im too lazy to write it out again but t17/lead core on skinny running line is the way

3.The boat
    you need to position the boat at 90deg to the current so that you can drift and cast down current and have the boat go over your cast with out getting tangled up

4.The technique
    this is not pretty fly fishing
    you need to get your line vertical in the water so that the line "slides" through the
    water and not flat so it drags a belly through the water
    if the fish are deep then keep the fly deep
    I dont strip the fly all the way back to the boat just though the "zone" and
    then let it sink again dont waste time in the top half of the column if the fish are not there
    bait in the water can turn the snoek off the fly so stay out of the main "flotilla" and drift around the edges

Poppers I agree with your hooked thery for yellowtail but its not that effective for snoek
    snoek tend to follow the bait more than their mates

there is always the "chum" option to bring them up I usualy try this only if they are deeper than 30m cut the chum small and throw lots
    use this as a last resort as mentioned you run the risk of keying them on the chum

Conrad Botes's clouser does the buisness at cape point (photo Dlampert)

have fun

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Hi

Some pics of Snoek DDD's (Denton's Deadly Depthcharger) using the DDD eyes (Dentons Depth Donsa)

Dentons version

Craigs Bleeding version

It seems Denton is being a bit modest when it comes to the eyes, he crafted the mould and moulded the eyes himself, I just provided the workshop.
    Regards
    Craig

Great post Denton, enjoyed this.!! Snoek on the feed will eat any fly if in their reach. Problem is getting to themDAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice everyone

Great posts. Looks like you some good fun.

My biggest problem was hitting the right depth, looks like I'm going to have to get some heavier gear to get down. There seems to be a pile of snoek around at the moment, hopefully we'll get another fine day's weather and give it ago next week.

Cheers

J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast