Thread: Snoek on fly off Cape Point

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Snoek on fly off Cape Point

Hey Guys

I luckily have the opportunity to catch some snoek fairly often out at sea off Cape Point using conventional tackle. I took a fly rod with me yesterday but struggled a bit. The fish were about 20-30 metres down and the other guys on the boat were jigging for them. I had a the right fly on, and being snoek they aren't to fussy - only problem was depth. We saw allot of action but I just couldn't get the fly down deep enough, fast enough.

Can anyone give me any tips on the best way to hook one of these guys down deep?

Many Thanks!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

I know there was an article in the TCFF a few months back..try see if you can get your hands on that. I also think there was a thread on the forum with regards to sinking lines for your application.. try see if you can do a search for it..

lakka
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

what sink rate line you using?

chaps to speak to are denton or conrad.....conrad is overseas at the moment tho
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Use the heaviest sinking line you can get or can use. I use a RIO deepsea Di8. The RIO T14 works a treat and sinks like a rock. When you cast, make sure you cast downstream of the boat. Then you will drift onto the line giving it much more time to sink deeper. sometimes you will be bringing the line in from underneath the boat. Wait till it goes straight and start to strip back. If they are around you will pick them up.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Saw some T17 line at Stream X the other day. A shooting head of that should work. A reasonable cast up current followed by a 45 second count should get you down to 20 meters.
    wat weet 'n mol van kaas

There we where, 10 against a thousand and boy did we get F@ked up, all 1000 of us

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

Isnt it ironic, we want to save the planet, should we not be saving ourselves. Btw did someone tell you your fuze is lit.

Best bet yet to follow, once you have hooked a snoek or y/tail, dont boat the fish untill others are on/hooked. Always keep a fish on the line, this brings the fish up to the surface. Being to hasty in landing your fish keeps the shoal deep. Patience!! will get them to the surface or just under in casting or hooking distance. Worked for me over plenty of years , mostly game fishing.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.