Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Researching a new venue

Default Researching a new venue

Hi all.
    I have been asked to research a new venue in the Eastern Cape, for the potential of assisting with the training local people to take advantage of tourism opportunities in the area. I involves setting up a field guiding operation in the area. First we need to establish the potential that exists there. Fly fishing oportunities will come into it.
    The area is the Kieskammahoek region, with the Kieskamma river nearby. There are few dams in the area, Gubu Dam, Cata Dam, and Rooikrantz dam.
    Anyone know anything about this area. Some input will be valuable.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi all.
    I have been asked to research a new venue in the Eastern Cape, for the potential of assisting with the training local people to take advantage of tourism opportunities in the area. I involves setting up a field guiding operation in the area. First we need to establish the potential that exists there. Fly fishing oportunities will come into it.
    The area is the Kieskammahoek region, with the Kieskamma river nearby. There are few dams in the area, Gubu Dam, Cata Dam, and Rooikrantz dam.
    Anyone know anything about this area. Some input will be valuable.
    Andre, that's Poppernel's back yard. Why not P.M. him, or phone me and I will give you his number.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Ya, I have spoken to him, and he will be finding out a few things for me. I have also been referred to the Stutterhiem Trout angling club, who hold the fishing rights at Gubu Dam. I am particularly interested in the river though.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Andre, I fished the keiskamma area a little bit 10+ years ago. Any questions just shoot.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Oh cool Kevin thanks. I managed to research the dams in the area, and there is some significant stillwater fishing, and some other opportunities that haven't quite been explored yet.
    Have you fished in the Kieskamma river itself? and if so, how was it?

The problem with this area is that it is former Ciskei and too many people were placed on too small a land area. Overgrazing is rife with the resultant erosion and dirty rivers. The rivers are only worth fishing close to the bush line. Cata river has brown trout up in the bushline, but the stream is tiny. Cata Dam is a little way down the catchment and is brown and polluted - the locals wash their clothes in it. Mnyameni Dam is a fantastic spot where I did a fair amount of fishing. The water is clean and the rainbows are self-sustaining. Mnyameni River above the dam is skinny and mostly only useful as a spawning stream. Below the dam it pretty much runs dry.

The Wolf River is the best bet for stream fishing. I never fished it because I never knew who to ask for permission. I think you would have to square away with the local chief first. But the stream does look good from the road and I imagine it still has plenty of rainbows in it.

The Keiskamma River is too low down. All the effects of bad land use upstream mean that it is almost always brown and unattractive.

Binfield Dam closer to Hogsback used to fish OK. It always had fish even when no stocking took place as there are fish in the Tyumie river. The fishing could be slow but some big fish were taken out of the dam. I think that security became an issue.

Rooikranz Dam has trout and bass. It is a fantastic spot but I understand that security has become a problem here too.

Good luck with this initiative Andre. It would be great to see this area opened up.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Wow, Kevin, this feedback is so valuable, and confirms a lot of what I have been able to research so far. Everyone I speak to, says pollution, safety, and tribal land. I have been told that the Wolf River is possibly the only one worth a look at, but the local fly fishermen have avoided it for some years now, due to the unpredictability of access. There have been unpleasant incidents in the past due to the local headmen behaving with inconsistency. (if you get my meaning)

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Wow, Kevin, this feedback is so valuable, and confirms a lot of what I have been able to research so far. Everyone I speak to, says pollution, safety, and tribal land. I have been told that the Wolf River is possibly the only one worth a look at, but the local fly fishermen have avoided it for some years now, due to the unpredictability of access. There have been unpleasant incidents in the past due to the local headmen behaving with inconsistency. (if you get my meaning)
    Andre
    then you also have the "possible effect" of 'Safety issues" which could be raised, only to protect the fishery as well.
    You never know, how true some stories are?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

My folks lived in Keiskammahoek in the 70s early 80s and I remember my father telling of the large trout that were taken in the river.If such an initiative is to be taken then maybe in places like Hogsback,where there might be people interested in "looking after" the water to boost tourism.There are some loively streams there,though I am not sure how they look outside the rainy season.I lived in Berlin which is between East londen and Kingwilliamstown.We had a river that ran through town that held small rainbows.We used to fish for them with bait at the lower reaches of town.I can only imagine what poor state the rivers must be in that area now.

Blog Entries

Talking

Hi Andre

I spent allot of time looking for water in that area. I'm lucky enough to have spent many a holiday in centered in Fort Beaufort. I've even gone yellow hunting in the Kat Rivers tribs! The rivers are a mess in the lower catchment areas. The fishing currently, as you know, is really restricted to stillwater unless you want to go bushwhacking up mountains to find the streams, that might or might not have fish in them.

The lowestoffe section of river has no fish as far as I'm concerned, way too hot. I went looking for yellows but never saw anything. Great looking piece of water though.

If you reed Rapture of the River Dale Heys, I think it is, mentions a few of the rivers that they stocked in the area - will double check and let you know what I find.

There are allot of private stillwaters you find out about via the farmer bush telephone - but many would prefer them to stay private I've found.

I would love to do a river exploratory mission up in the area. I'm spent enough time in the Trans/Ciskei to feel safe and prepared. I will detail a list of research I did on the river and PM you soon.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast