Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Proper footwear-Saltwater FF

Default Proper footwear-Saltwater FF

HI Guys

Since I'll be relocating to Ballito end of Aug, I thought of getting myself some decent footwear to fish the surf. What do you guys use? I have tried booties, which were o.k. for sandy beaches and estuaries (but useless on rocks) but they still fill up with sand quickly.

I also have a pair of old Jim Green boots which do not have proper grip on rocks but at least protect your ankles. Perhaps I should stick to these, glue on some carpet tiles cut to sole shape and get "gater"/ gator?? socks to keep the sand out.

Any suggestions? (would like to keep it as affordable as possible)

Rgds

Stef

If you really want cheap then nothing beats the brown leater shoes sold at MRPRICE.They like R120, and are also nice and high to protect the ankles.The SOLES are really soft and grip like glue.The only thing is you need to dub the shoes after almost every trip,but othewise they should last quite a while.

Decent booties will never fill up with sand and they are awesome on rocks.

Do not buy cheap booties. If your booties are fine for the surf and estuary then just get some lekke gumboots for the rocks and cut them shorter - a bargain at about R80-00.

gumboots sound like a good way to drown or end up with nasty cuts if you ask me ... get yourself a cheap set of Chota's with neoprene inners ... voila ... done.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

if you in the water booties/flats boots are the way

on the rocks/out of the water "rock boots" are good and they are cheap

you can always just fish in a pair of old takkies or school shoes the fish are not fashion fussy

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

For fishing on rocks there is nothing better than gumboots - cut short -with neoprene socks. Fred Astair Rock Shoes.

If you want to look cool like the provincial R & S guys, the gumboots have to be white.

Beautifully b1tchy MC!

Cut-off gum boots are the business.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    For fishing on rocks there is nothing better than gumboots - cut short -with neoprene socks. Fred Astair Rock Shoes.

If you want to look cool like the provincial R & S guys, the gumboots have to be white.
    If you cut the gum boots too short then the sheep can escape!
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

If you take life (fishing and Aussie style loving) seriously, you'd have two pairs.

Hi Stef

I use flats boots on sand and rock with neoprene socks and gravelguards to keep sand out. They have not (yet) proved slippery on rocks, but I tend to avoid slippery rocks :-)

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast