Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Orange River Advice

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    Hoe lus raak ek nou vir die Oranje! The scenary on the Orange must be some of the most beautiful in our country! Here's some more pics just to ad to what Andre already said, fishing is just half of what the Orange is about.
    what is the other half? the beer, Old brown sherry next to the fire, (jokes)
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    what is the other half? the beer, Old brown sherry next to the fire, (jokes)
    Thats also part of it, but the diversity of the river, the unique fauna and flaura, the beautiful sunsets, the rockformations, the diferent fish species, and the of course the camping next to the river in the silent velt.

a while ago I was fishing a beat I probably fished a thousand times before and just before sunset probably in the region of 150 horses came down to the river to drink water. That was just incredible! I phoned the owner of the farm where the horses were and he told me they were horses that is left from the boer war (read 1902) and completely wild. Only on the Orange will you find stuff like this in SA

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    It's not all about the fish, but about fishing ina special place ...
    ... fishing is just half of what the Orange is about...
    To be honest with you guys, that' what ALL fly fishing is about imho. The special places are just different for different people - we just all need to respect that.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    To be honest with you guys, that' what ALL fly fishing is about imho. The special places are just different for different people - we just all need to respect that.
    Agreed Mario, but I think some guys thought that 100 fish a day diminishes this and all I and I guess Andre wanted to say is its not the case. Ok and I just prefer the Orange specificaly the Orange between Vanderkloof and Douglas to just about anywhere else in South Africa. That doesnt mean though that I dont enjoy nature high in the mountains or on a dam or wherever else for that matter, just a slight preference on my side.

5. Default

... just a slight preference on my side.
    Yes Chris, and that is the individual preference I was talking about, and what we should respect.

Trust me, just as you cannot understand why I would NOT give my left nut to fish the Orange etc, I feel the same way about you guys not giving your left nuts to fish what I prefer
    Last edited by smallstreams.co.za; 25-08-10 at 09:13 AM.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

a 100 fish a day, is that really so many?

if you do a 10 hour stint, it is 10 fish an hour.

Sometimes, you get spots where you will catch 8 or 9 fish in succesive casts.

I remember 15 years ago, when I started fishing on the Cape Streams, guys use to talk about catching 80 trout a day, on a good day.
    Chris and I chatted about the Diep Spruit in the Barkley area, when we were fishing there. I caught 12 or 13 fish in about 30 minutes.

Sometimes the fish are ON! Enjoy it and make the most of it. Because there will be days when they are NOT. and you will scratch for a single fish.

I regulary hear the phrase "it is more than fishing"

YES, I agree. But first and foremost I am a fisherman, I want to catch fish. with it I will enjoy nature etc, look at the scenery.

I don't go and look at the scenery, enjoy nature, have a picnic, and as a by product, try and catch a fish.
    When I go to the water, I want to catch fish, that is what I went out to do.
    Whether it is a trout in a mountain stream, SM yellow in Richtersveld, a LM in the Vaal, or Bass in the Breede. I am going out to fish.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Yes Chris, and that is the individual preference I was talking about, and what we should respect.

Trust me, just as you cannot understand why I would NOT give my left nut to fish the Orange etc, I feel the same way about you guys not giving your left nuts to fish what I prefer
    Yeah Mario, I do like fishing what you prefer, as I said, I have a slight preference to the Orange and only the section I refered to, OK probably the whole Orange from Gariep downwards and from the Lesotho border upwards. No I respect your preference and understand it a whole lot more than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    a 100 fish a day, is that really so many?

if you do a 10 hour stint, it is 10 fish an hour.

Sometimes, you get spots where you will catch 8 or 9 fish in succesive casts.

I remember 15 years ago, when I started fishing on the Cape Streams, guys use to talk about catching 80 trout a day, on a good day.
    Chris and I chatted about the Diep Spruit in the Barkley area, when we were fishing there. I caught 12 or 13 fish in about 30 minutes.

Sometimes the fish are ON! Enjoy it and make the most of it. Because there will be days when they are NOT. and you will scratch for a single fish.
    Korrie 100 fish a day is a lot of fish, in 10 hours not that many, but still a lot, even for the Orange. Sometimes as you said the streams produce just as good, I remember a morning on the Karnemelk that I took 52 bows in 5 hours, about the same average rate as you said. Other times you do well to get 5 for the day on the Karnemelk. For me it was a great morning due to 2 fish that I will remember, the rest were just to easy and the same aplies to the Orange on some days. Mario is right with his statement about respect, in short: whatever blows your hair back is fine with me, as long as nature is respected in the process.

9. Default

as long as nature is respected in the process.
    Very true, and something not touched on here yet. Good to be reminded again - thanks Chris.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345