Thread: Seeking petrusville yellows destination

Default Seeking petrusville yellows destination

To all yellow fish fanatics.

I will be visiting the petrusville de aar area and would like to know if there are any spots for yellows or guides in the area .
    Some help will go a long way.

We have property next to the Orange in the area with about 70km of river frontage, I've sent you a pm.

I have family that own the first dam below the Vanderkloof dam. The few times that I have managed to visit them with my fly rods, the fishing was phenomenal!! At times there seemed to be more fish than water in the river.

I am much more of a trout fisherman than yellowfish fisherman (only due to having less exposure to yellowfish fishing), but every time I fished there it showed me how good fishing can be at these out of the beaten track places.

I don’t know how it is further downstream, but it was important to keep an eye on the water and your ears open for the siren this close to the dam as water releases could happen any time of the day. The shallow rapids between the numerous little islands become a raging torrent within a few minutes. In the eighties my family used to be able to set their watches to the release of water (the dam was called PK LeRoux in those days), because after Dallas in the evenings the electricity demand jumped as everybody puts to kettle on for a cupa...

To give you an idea how much fish there is along this stretch of the Orange river; if my family wanted a fish-braai, they would first light the fire, then go fish and the coals would be just right by the time the fish are gutted and on the grid!

I live on the other side of the world now, but if you don’t get right with any contacts in the area, send me a PM, then I will send you their contact details. They might just let you enjoy a slice of paradise.

P.S. Attached are some picture when the water is being released from the dam... I can't for the life of me find the pictures from my waterproof camera taken on the river... the pictures are from about 2004/2005 and my filing system is as confusing as puke in a tumble-drier.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It isn't essential to my enjoyment of fishing that I catch fish, only that I know there are fish in the water.

/l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

If a man speaks in the middle of a forest and there is no woman around to hear him - is he still wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by arnoc View Post
    I have family that own the first dam below the Vanderkloof dam. The few times that I have managed to visit them with my fly rods, the fishing was phenomenal!! At times there seemed to be more fish than water in the river.

I am much more of a trout fisherman than yellowfish fisherman (only due to having less exposure to yellowfish fishing), but every time I fished there it showed me how good fishing can be at these out of the beaten track places.

I don’t know how it is further downstream, but it was important to keep an eye on the water and your ears open for the siren this close to the dam as water releases could happen any time of the day. The shallow rapids between the numerous little islands become a raging torrent within a few minutes. In the eighties my family used to be able to set their watches to the release of water (the dam was called PK LeRoux in those days), because after Dallas in the evenings the electricity demand jumped as everybody puts to kettle on for a cupa...

To give you an idea how much fish there is along this stretch of the Orange river; if my family wanted a fish-braai, they would first light the fire, then go fish and the coals would be just right by the time the fish are gutted and on the grid!

I live on the other side of the world now, but if you don’t get right with any contacts in the area, send me a PM, then I will send you their contact details. They might just let you enjoy a slice of paradise.

P.S. Attached are some picture when the water is being released from the dam... I can't for the life of me find the pictures from my waterproof camera taken on the river... the pictures are from about 2004/2005 and my filing system is as confusing as puke in a tumble-drier.
    Those are sometimes great rapids, here's a pic from the water of your families stretch.(high flow)

There are some awesome rapids further down stream, but you still need to keep an eye out for the flows. At your families spot, the water takes about 30min to start rising after the normal turbines have been opened. The water takes as long as 6 hours to reach the havenga bridge. If you do not time a drift with some local knowledge you will be fishing high flows the whole drift

OK, found some pics of the same spot in normal (low) flows @ about 70 cumecs. The pumphouse in the background of the second pic should look familiar
    Last edited by chrisvd; 10-08-10 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    OK, found some pics of the same spot in normal (low) flows @ about 70 cumecs. The pumphouse in the background of the second pic should look familiar
    Eish, it's a small world!! That pumphouse is where I stood when I took the one picture!... feeling very home-sick at the moment.

Attached is an early morning pic from (I think) the Havenga bridge...

Aaaaah and I also found some more pics... just don't laugh at my fishing attire... I was not planning to do fishing this time, just pop in on my way back to PE from a job in Pretoria, but couldn't resist when seeing the low water. If memory serve me correct I only had about 10 minutes of fishing time before the water level became too high and I had to hit the road again... caught 5 fish and was broken off three or four times!!!
    It isn't essential to my enjoyment of fishing that I catch fish, only that I know there are fish in the water.

/l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

If a man speaks in the middle of a forest and there is no woman around to hear him - is he still wrong?

Jip, that is the havenga bridge. Nowadays the farmers on both sides will chase a guy from the river with full force if not aranged with them. Here's some nice pics of the bridge from the water. There is some great sightfishing to be had bellow the bridge!

Default Report on the fishing van der kloof

Hi Guys

Thank you very much for the info on the fishing Van der Kloof.
    As i mentioned to Chris when arriving there was cold front ripping through the area and Erny the owner of Pride Rock said that it had been a while since it had been that cold in the evening -3 and during the day 11-12-degrees.
    The fishing was not that great but the area and beauty is a place where one could live peacefuly.
    I only managed 3 fish for the whole day, maybe it was the cold front or i am a *** fisherman, and i have been fishing for yellows for the last 13years.

Kind regards
    Ivo

Quote Originally Posted by addict View Post
    Hi Guys

Thank you very much for the info on the fishing Van der Kloof.
    As i mentioned to Chris when arriving there was cold front ripping through the area and Erny the owner of Pride Rock said that it had been a while since it had been that cold in the evening -3 and during the day 11-12-degrees.
    The fishing was not that great but the area and beauty is a place where one could live peacefuly.
    I only managed 3 fish for the whole day, maybe it was the cold front or i am a *** fisherman, and i have been fishing for yellows for the last 13years.

Kind regards
    Ivo
    Ivo, put that behind you!! at least you did not ''blank'' Even if you did, smile good on youy anyways, m
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.