Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Greys Streamflex is now unfortunatly, redundant

Default My Greys Streamflex is now unfortunatly, redundant

I have just returned from the Richtersveld, where I had the opportunity to test my new Sage 99 on some decent yellowfish. Having always been of the opinion that there isn't a Sage rod that can compare to the action of the Greys Streamflex, when it comes to shortline nymphing applications, I have now come to the conclusion that Sage have raised the bar with the new "99".
    The rod is unbelievebly sensitive to the lightest of takes, and responsive enough to set the hook instantly. The 4wt also has the pulling power to manhandle a large yellow to the net, equally as well as the 5 wt Streamflex, if not better. I phsically pulled as hard as I could, a number of times, just to see where the limits are, and never found them.
    This rod could have been built specifically for nymphing yellows. Sorry to carry on singing the Sage praises, but they just seem to move from one brilliant rod to another.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Cool!

When it first came out, i remember thinking "Well what the h*ll is that for?", but now i know.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Blog Entries

Seems like they where thinking of Yellowfish

http://www.sageflyfish.com/dyn_prodl...=299013#specss
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

not only do hey nymph well at short distance, they can toss a really long line with heavy flies

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by FishZ View Post
    not only do hey nymph well at short distance, they can toss a really long line with heavy flies
    Hey Matt
    Can it be used as a general stillwater rod that's only often used for yellows? Or is it other way round?

Hey Stanton,

Well, the rod was designed to nymph trout streams like the South Fork of the Snake River with multiple nymphs in this so called euorpean style. I am not aware of any yellowfish in the rivers of the Western US, so I would say it has applications beyond yellowfishing...

But Andre is the one using the 4wt now, so he would have more feedback in that department. After a month or so ill be able to report on the 5wt as well.

When all is said and done its a long(er) rod designed to roll cast and toss heavy flies. Its got a very stiff butt section with a nice soft tip section and a progressive taper in between.

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    Hey Matt
    Can it be used as a general stillwater rod that's only often used for yellows? Or is it other way round?
    I think it would be fine for stillwater work. It seems to cast really well. Granted, I haven't really tried casting far with it, but no reason why it shouldn't be great. As Matt says, the design was for casting multiple large flies, so, why not? It certainly will have the pulling power for large trout, and I would suggest that if you think you need a 6wt, go one lighter, and so on. If you think you need a 4wt, go with a 3wt. It has pulling power beyond it's weight designation. Feel free to try mine out if you want.
    Mark K gave it a few flicks the other week, and was impressed by it's casting ability.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Andre, you going to sell that Greys Streamflex now that you're not going to use it again?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Andre, you going to sell that Greys Streamflex now that you're not going to use it again?
    I just might hey, If you want it, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I just might hey, If you want it, let me know.
    Not me, but I might know someone. He wanted me to build him up a 5wt, 10 foot rod...but he's pressed for time so may go for the Greys. Will call him and ask tomorrow and let you know if he's interested. What would you want for it?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast