Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: G.Loomis NRX - A sage buster?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Is that a factory build ?
    Find me a Loomis NRX blank please
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Is that a factory build ?

The ones I've seen (9WT, 10WT, 12WT) looked different to that one and the ork was impeccable. I held that and a Hardy 9WT side by side and there was little to no diffs in the quality.
    Looks factory.

That said - I *HATE* the wraps in the photo above - blue with green inlay. Looks cheap.
    It would put me off the rod (especially compared to the old "classic" understated GLX look)

They are now available in both original blue & green finish (see photo below), so others felt the same way too.
    For me, the green looks *WAY* better than the blue.
    Last edited by GGY; 19-04-12 at 10:08 AM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Find me a Loomis NRX blank please
    Don't challenge me ... netnou netnou is your first build fo me a Geelvis specific 7WT

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Looks factory.

For me, the green looks *WAY* better than the blue.

That's why I asked, I had not seen the Blue wraps, all of the NRX'es I've been in contact with had the green finish.

They really are machines ... I'd love to have a few.

Apparently the new SAGE XI3's (?) are also really wild rods.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

4. Default

Don't challenge me ... netnou netnou is your first build fo me a Geelvis specific 7WT .
    Find me a blank and I''ll buy it myself
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

whoa...nice comments, folks...

I much more like the blue-black sheme than the "all fly rods should have a noice green colour"- version...

Honestly, I've had a similar reaction, when I had my first look at my NRX...
    But now I just love the different character what these rods have.

The cork looks worse in the pics than actually is...It's really tougher than the usual cork used in other rods...but yes, it could be better.
    I agree with Scythe's comment "They really are machines"...I love the "tool"-feel, and it's a different "fetish-object" than a TnT or Winston.
    Agree, Loomis is not really up in it's design thoughts and execution.

Try these rods, If you have a chance and judge based on the performance...
    After what I've put that rod into, I'm a believer.
    Last edited by PeterH; 19-04-12 at 12:18 PM.
    ...one more last cast...

Don't challenge me ... netnou netnou is your first build fo me a Geelvis specific 7WT

That's why I asked, I had not seen the Blue wraps, all of the NRX'es I've been in contact with had the green finish.

They really are machines ... I'd love to have a few.

Apparently the new SAGE XI3's (?) are also really wild rods.
    I've got two custom Xi3's 8 and 9. They're really decent, nice and light. I can only compare to the TFO TiCr. Unfortunately I haven't caught anything proper on them to see how strong they are. Hopefully a tiger trip in the near future will change that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234