Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horison TRS 3WT 4Pce 8'

Default Horison TRS 3WT 4Pce 8'

Had the opportunity to fish with one of these this past weekend, what a fantastic little rod aside from the fact that they are supposedly a little fragile (the owner having broken it twice before, and not while pulling on 3KG fish, which he also has done)

what I liked about the rod is that it's very light yet crisp and definitely tip actioned, getting longer leaders with mostly unweighted flies to unfurl and present properly was a treat.

I'd like to awaken the 3WT discussion again and get some comment from guys who actively fish on their lighter rods ito comparisons with other possibly newer rods in the same weight to get an idea of what improvements have been made, as the Horizon isobviously a little old by now.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

a well known Cape fly fisher said he had to line the rod 2 weights up to fish it in the Cape Streams, too stiff and fast for the stated line weight fishing short as we do in the Cape.

I have never fished the rod so can't comment, any forumers fishing the rod on the Cape Streams?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I have one and been using it for the last three years on the streams. I love the rod and definitely don't over line it. I got the rod from Darryl and he apparently hated it.

It has also gone through some serious abuse and the only time I have broken it was my own fault when I snapped it by leaning forward to grab my falling camera, so not the rods fault. Also had a new section in three days with no hassle.

I fish short, far, heavy flies, light flies, streamers, etc and cannot really say that i had any hassles, but then again I don't worry to much about the the finer details about casting as I would rather enjoy my day out than spend the whole morning analyzing how the rod casts, where it bends, when it starts to load and all the other stuff people worry to much about.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

The bits I experimented with was a few short leader only casts but mostly for longer work, 15M - 20M casts for Yellows in open water, so not bushed in and such.

The rod was overlined with a 4WT Ridge Line Presentation taper, but only due to my mate's preference, as it is his rod.

What's the general concensus amongst the stream anglers in terms of which is better, softer slower rods or faster yet still soft rods ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    The bits I experimented with was a few short leader only casts but mostly for longer work, 15M - 20M casts for Yellows in open water, so not bushed in and such.

The rod was overlined with a 4WT Ridge Line Presentation taper, but only due to my mate's preference, as it is his rod.

What's the general concensus amongst the stream anglers in terms of which is better, softer slower rods or faster yet still soft rods ?
    For what its worth, I prefer a more progressive taper in my stream kit. I find this to be a nice trade off for roll casts and a bit of distance, but also have a tenancy to overline. The problem with this is that though Ideal for close encounters when you need a bit of distance the additional line causes the rod to take a bit of strain and you can feel that it loses power as a result. I personally do not like fast stream rods as I feel a higher line speed offers no true advantage for me, and since I mostly fish a few droppers below my dry I like something that lends itsself to big open loops whilst still being accurate. But then Im also quite set in my ways
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

I have fished the TRS on the Cape Streams and did not enjoy it at all. Its a very very fast rod and i dont think its suited to the Cape Streams at all. Its great for making long cast but for all the short stuff i did not like it at all.

I own the MRS and absolute love the rod, much better action and fishes our streams brilliantly.

I suppose it all boils down to personal preference, i dont like using fast action rods on our streams!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

I know and fish with two accomplished stream anglers who both adore this rod. Its a little to fast for my liking, but in their hands I've seen it do magic, especially on longer casts where tight loops are generated. In this respect the rod excels at distant presentation, especially during low water conditions when longer leaders are needed. Both these anglers prefer far and fine fishing which negates their need for short distance work. It just goes to show, one mans trash is another mans threasure.
    Last edited by shector; 19-08-10 at 07:59 AM.

There will always be a need for short casts. No matter how much anyone prefers to make longer casts, it's impossible to get away from the requirement for short casting in pockets and riffles. How else would you fish small shallow pockets , if you can't cast short, and lift the line off the water? I suppose you could cast over three pockets, and let the line lie over the rocks, but you would lose a lot of fish and miss plenty of takes, so no thanks.
    I have no experience with this rod in question, but my experience tells me that if it struggles to do the short thing, then I wouldn't be interested. I would far prefer to do with something that can do both, but my priority would be to check out its short casting ability first.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

If you are interested in a #3 rod or lighter., 90% plus of all fishing will probaly be done on short distance. Make sure the rod can fish short.
    Make sure it loads easily, make sure it presents a fly softly, that the tip is soft enough to protect thin tippets.
    That it can cast accurately on short distances.

If not, get another rod, because that is what the rod will do 90% of the time.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Make sure the rod can fish short.
    Make sure it loads easily
    That it can cast accurately on short distances.
    Korrie, this rod, does it work with batteries? Sorry but I miss your point. The angler is suppose to do all that,not the rod.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast