Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing England

Smile Fly Fishing England

Hey everyone!

Was thinking (rare but it happens), while I am stuck on this island for the foreseeable future, I could do a running commentary of the fisheries that I have visited. This would be for those that are thinking of coming over for a holiday or business and would like to get a bit of fishing in if there is any free time. Hell just for those who are interested.

At the moment it will be mostly fisheries around London, as I have no car at the moment. But there are a few around and not too bad either. As I expand I can give some ideas of other fisheries further out. I admit I am no expert, but this will be really just for info.

So let me know if there is any interest out there for a thread like this.

always interesting to read about fishing in other spots. lets go.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I lived in the UK for 8 years and have fished a good few waters over there ranging from Syon Park near Kew Gardens slap bang in the middle of West London to some of the Scottish and Welsh rivers trying to tempt a salmon or sea trout.

There are a nice variety of waters within a couple of hours of London that are pretty nice to fish.

Syon Park was a big favourite when I lived on Mud Island. Getting there by public transport isn't bad either.

Good idea is to meet up with Hughie at Sharpes of Aberdeen in NW1. They organise trips out as far as I recall.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Syon is awesome, taken some decent fish there, but none of the monsters yet. Been so warm here that some of the fisheries I have been at the water was 22 degrees Celsius. Fish were so invested with lice and leeches it was scary! Especially the smaller fish.

The idea was for me just to give a basic description and idea of what the fisheries I visit or will visit offer and how they fish. For anyone who decides to swop SA for Pommieland.

Go for it. I am sure there wil be interest.

I for one wouldnt mind a trip down memory lane....

Go for it. I would read every post, I'm intrigued by the way people fish across the world.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Go for it. I would read every post, I'm intrigued by the way people fish across the world.
    And i'm intrigued by the way you guys ''drift''.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    And i'm intrigued by the way you guys ''drift''.

DAVE
    Quite simple Dave,

Turn your back so you are facing downstream, lift your legs waist high, and then " GO WITH THE FLOW ".

Just beware of shallow or big rock sections. It's hell on the @rse.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Wink Syon Park

Well began my uneventful journey from east London to west London after the chaotic rush hour. Its just better on the nerves. Arrived at Syon Park, a small clear stillwater tucked away in the Duke of Northumberland's estate in Brentford.

Just received my new Cortland subsurface line and wanted to give it go. The lake is quite shallow, so a sinking line are not needed. Gets your fly and line wrapped up in weed anyway, this being summer and all. You can get away with a floating line for most of your fishing or a slow intermediate. Really just wanted to give the line a test.

Walked through the gates, greeted the two elderly gentlemen in their comfy chairs and got to a spot that has been productive for me (at least the last time anyway). Being a weekday the banks are not crowded, so you can choose your spot at will. I just set up when the bailiff and his trusty sidekick bear down on me. I purchase a 2 fish ticket at £29, thankfully I still have a ticket left over from my last excursion (they are valid for a year if you blank or don't catch your quota), and get fishing.

I tie on an unweighted size 12 damsel and cast to rising fish. The wind is swirling today, so casting ain't easy, but I can say that the line really impressed me. Almost immediately I am into a fish, a perch not much bigger than the fly. They really are aggressive little things. But at least it was a new species on my list. Persistence pays and another better sized perch later, I finally tempted a beautiful fully finned bow of just under 2lbs after a spirited fight.

Moved down the bank, sneakily checking out what the other anglers were doing. It seemed that stripping a fly through the water was the way to go. Carried on with the damsel and was rewarded with a 2.5lbs bow who went straight into the weeds without much of a fight.

Decided to try a dry fly. Figured I had only one ticket left and the whole day to fish so why not. Walked to the end of the water, where a small stream feeds into the lake and is surrounded by trees right up the the waters edge. The water is very shallow here, but it it also has the coolest water due to the inlet and the tree cover. A fellow angler had much success there with a sunken hopper pulled slowly just under the surface. He graciously allowed me on to his spot while he moved just a bit further up the bank. Set up my 4wt (don't tell the English, they think this is ONLY a river rod) with a hopper but it was completely ignored. Saw as I had walked in previously small hatches of insects i couldn't see, so tied on a Griffiths Gnat. Delicate side casts get the fly out there. After 2 refusals a stunning 3lb bow took the fly with conviction. It put on an unbelievable fight, especially on the lighter rod, even if it ran into weed.

So that was that, my day of fly fishing pleasure turned into 11/2 hrs of fun. It was all over. No catch and release is allowed. Signed my forms, placed them in the box and headed back to the city. Now for the cooking.

Cheers guys!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast