Thread: La Mercy estuary

Default La Mercy estuary

Howzit guys

Been living in Ballito for 2 weeks now but unfortunately have not had the time to go fishing. Any of you ever fished La Mercy estuary? I see it every day on my way to work and it looks like a nice spot with lots of good structure (mangroves & reed patches.

Suppose one would get some perch & snapper there?

Rgds

Stef

The la Mercy easuary is also known as the Umthloti eastuary, the mouth of the Mdloti River. I remember as a youngster, growing up in Durbs, fishing there, and catching lots of fish. Sadly today, the estuary is quite polluted due to the Mdlothi, being the run off of many water purification plants upstream, and the severe impact of the algae contaminated Hazelmere dam, in the Verulam area. Not to say there won't be any fish there, but it's the story of modern times, where we estuary is suffering the consequences of man's past ignorance to environmental considerations. I read in one of the magazines recently, that there are a few groups, committed to restoring the estuary to its former natural state. I wish them well. Recently, several proposed industrial and housiong projects for the near vicinity of the estuary have fortunatly been stonewalled by these groups of environmentalists.
    It would be good if you could give it a try, and let us know about the current conditions of the estuary.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Default La mercy

Thanks Andre

I'm off to Zambia tomorrow to work there for 2 weeks, but when I return I'll definately give it a shot. Did a short surf outing this afternoon & got a small kingie on a charlie. At least I am finally "on the board".

Regards

Stef

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    Thanks Andre

I'm off to Zambia tomorrow to work there for 2 weeks, but when I return I'll definately give it a shot. Did a short surf outing this afternoon & got a small kingie on a charlie. At least I am finally "on the board".

Regards

Stef
    Drop Grant Kieser a pm, he's spent a lot of time fishing the area from Balito to Zinkwazi and could put you onto a few good spots. Zinkwazi has got lots of perch and it's not too far up the road from Balito.
    Check your knots!

Hi guys, I'm new on the forum. Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I thought it would be better than creating a new one on the same topic.
    I've done flyfishing in my high school years in Stellenbosch area, then gave it up after my gear got stolen, but I'm back now in full force.
    I stay in La Mercy and would like to fish the La Mercy lagoon. Does anyone have more info on what fish can be found there? I've heard stories from the locals about bass, carp, barbel, mullet and even eel. I don't know if I should believe them or not. I'm hoping to buy a float tube soon so I can reach the upper parts of the lagoon as well, but for now I will be casting from the sand and see if I can still get the line out further than my feet.
    Last edited by Moelich73; 20-07-12 at 10:35 AM.