Thread: Imitating Tricorythidae or "Trico's"

Arrow Imitating Tricorythidae or "Trico's"

Intro:

The various Mayflies Nymphs worth imitating in and around the Vaalriver system include the Trico's. They exist in great numbers and a absolute "must have" fly for Smallmouth Yellowfish.Out of the 4 major groups of Mayflies ( Burrowers, Clingers, Crawlers and Swimmers) I enjoy tying Trico's the most.

Some important features I deemed as important when I designed this fly.

1)Size - #16 & #18
    2.)They have 3 tails. Tie 3 if you want but I don't think it's that important to be honest. I went for a sparse,barred look instead.
    3.)Tail length - as long as the abdomen and thorax combined.
    4.)Body colour - Definite brown and very importantly, THEY HAVE A YELLOW/TAN/PALE UNDERBODY. I tie them in black/tan too btw.
    5.)Gills - Optional but I didn't include any.
    6.)Wingcase is half the fly ito length Jip they are the Mr Olympia's of Nymphs.Very robust!
    7.)Legs - Ag well you know they have 3 pairs but I always go for the illusion rather than the exact.

Tip:

You can't follow a one for all proportion approach with Mayfly Nymps. You need to analize each natural because their features/triggers differ. I'll try and post some Swimmer and Clingers shots in the near future. I don't tie Burrowers as there aren't many.Fish a GRHE or Coypu Nymph if you find any of the Nymphs.

Dressing:

Hook: Standard Nymph #16
    Thread:14/0 White
    Tail: Natural Squirrel
    Body: Sparkle Yarn Tan (You need to seperate the yarn and only use a 1/4 of the strand,half of half ) Similar to Goose Biots ito look but gazillion times more durable. The previous version of this fly was tied using GB.
    Wingcase: Medallion Sheet Amber marked brown.
    Legs: Brahma Natural
    Thorax: SLF Squirrel Bleached Ginger
    Marker: Brown

1.To achieve the two tone body using only the yarn you need to twist and wrap the material forward as per usual to form the body and segments and tie off. (Doen so 6 van hulle,saves time)
    2.Now apply some superglue using a needle to THE UNDERSIDE AND SIDES ONLY leaving the top side unglued.
    3.Once dry take the brown marker and stroke the top side only. The hardened underside and sides won't absorb the flowing ink cause you glued it.

That's it,you now have a two toned body without too much hassle.Mmm ja tie 10000 flies to come up with this step "one night in Bangkok)

Ps.Unfortunately the close up shows the underbody rather dark because I didn't wait for it to dry completely. But I'm sure you get the idea, it works!

Sorry about this, did another body to illustrate the look.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 07-09-10 at 03:46 PM.

Nice looking fly. Looks very fishy

Great looking fly Gerrit. That two tone body is especially cool......

Thanks guys my favourate nymph I have to say.