Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skipjack flies!

Default Skipjack flies!

Howzit guys. There seem to be a few skippies around at the moment. Managed 1 on leadhead last week, but would love to give them a shot on fly. I have hooked them while fishing for leerie, but never landed one.

Apart from stock standard methods are there any fly choices that are favoured? I know pick them up on mud charlies fished on a slow retrieve, but how slow would that be?

Thanks

hi davo.....some experienced guys on here that im sure will help you wrt to this.as far as i know they chow those swimming prawns...so the odd erattic twitch in the retreive might help.lots of articles in the complete fly fisherr mag on this.would be a good idea to maybe order the back issues from them.good luck...a fish i definately want on my species list
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

clousers!!! chart /white (shock horror my first choice)

grunter charlies tan (charlies with ginger barred hackle )

lastly a little flipper or a bigger flipper with a smaller lip aka sliders worked for me

dont be scared to strip the snot out of the flies as an alternative to the strip pause they are seriosly quick so you cant strip to fast

Post the pics !!!!!

/d
    Last edited by damage; 17-09-10 at 07:59 AM.
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

What species are we on about here?
    Skippies = Skipjack tuna??

Spipjack = springer = giant herring = ladyfish = Elops Machnata, all the same thing
    Damage is bang on the money ... clousers and flippers seem to produce the best results.

Beauty, Jono!

(The fish isn't bad either...!)

Well done

cheers
    Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

nice work jono....you know just how to upset us so early in the morning
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Davo

The guys are getting them on fly at the modderspruit mouth and some big one's have been lost... as far as flies are concerned I am not so sure but the olive over white clouser should be in youre bag.
    Fish - Where?.................................het hom!!!!

I don't know about down in PE area, but here in Durban we catch them on pink and white clousers fishing for kingies, so a fairly fast retrive, and don't forget the poppers, they are suckers for them. I durban harbour when targeting them, we use little glassy patterns in white. But as said before, charlies, shrimps and flippers are all good.

Fishing Adventures Banned User

The fly will depend on what time you are fishing for them, as will your retreive. generally Springer prefer a slower retreive especally in low light which is the best time to target them.
    In Durban they are best caught on small fish imitations or poppers becasue in Durban they feed on small fish especially glassies.
    Down in the Easert Cape it is completely different because they feed on suspending prawns and so I found that prawn imitations work much better.

1 trick when targeting springer is that after they run off a bunch of your backing they are going to jump and this is where most of them are lost and so when you see you line coming level you need to get your rod tip deep into the water to keep a proper tension on the line.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast