Thread: Kitwe, Zambia

Default Kitwe, Zambia

Howdee guys, as part of my new job I need to travel to Zambia quite often ( Kitwe region) I notced that the Kafue river flows by not far from there. Some say there are still some good fishing around, others reckon the place is netted "dry".

Any of you guys got experience of fishing the particular area? (suppose some bream fishing around at least, perhaps tigers????)

Regards

Stef

Stef

The company I work for has a branch in Kitwe, so I also travel up there quite regularly, Kafue definately still have some Bream, some stretches has some really good fishing acording to some of the locals. I've fished the river three times and blanked on all occasions. really beatiful, but thopugh fishing. Are you flying in to Lusaka or direct to Ndola, If you do Lusaka, try and get down to the lower zambezi, thats the best fishing Zambia has to offer.

was hoping for some more positive feed back on this as my future father in law has just moved up to this spot.havnt had much feed back as he isnt much of a fisherman.apparently there is a dam just out of the town with good bream and bass in it.im interested in tigers tho.was hoping for some tigers closer to this spot.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Hi Stephen

Unfortunately the Kafue River doesn't support tigerfish, only pike and bream etc. so your best bet would be to get down to the Lower Zam for a weekend and catch a few tigers. It's about a 6-7 hour drive from Kitwe to Chirundu and there are a number of lodges in the area that cater for all tastes and budgets. Please don't hesitate to give me a shout if you need more info...

Blog Entries

There is a dam in Mufulira, 'bout 40km from Kitwe with some nice sized bream, you are guaranteed big fish if you have a boat and can get between the small islands (anthills) but I have had a bit of luck from the shore. Here is what I pulled out on Sunday with an olive Damsel.IMG-20140615-00356.jpg

Hi Stephan, I travelled there a week a month for 12 years and fished the area a lot. No tigers there but numerous other species.
    There are areas of the Kafue that fish well, the most accessible spot is just before Chililabombwe where the bridge crosses the river. On the left side of the bridge there are some rapids and on the right there is a huge pool with a resident croc to match the size of the pool.
    Other good areas on the Kafue near Mpongwe they have some fishing huts down there which you can rent, I can't remember the places name but it is the spot where the annual "River Lure" comp is fished.
    To the West there are rivers such as the Lunga and Luswishi both have great fishing once you are past the town of Kasempa. There was an area you could camp in the Game Management Area if you took some game scouts along.
    These rivers all have numerous species of Talapia which are good fighters, the African Pike are also great fun to catch and put up an interesting display when hooked by doing Cartwheels on the water (similar to a Springer).

Mindolo dam near Kitwe also has some good bream but you need a boat here.
    Usually a good place to get some good info was from Joe Wesson at the MOTH Club in Kitwe, other knowledgeable people are Bertie Rumor from Kitwe and the Hughes family from Luanshya. These guys have all been here for years and know the area well. I don't know if they are all still around but just ask some of the local ex-pats on the Copperbelt who are always wiling to give some good advice.
    Please try to fish from a boat wherever possible and keep your eyes peeled at all times because Crocs are a real threat on all waters there.