Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Googling the Elandspad

Default Googling the Elandspad

I hope you guys enjoy googling the following link of the Elandspad as much as I had in plotting all the named pools. Have fun!

Elandspad.zip

Must have been a long walk . Thanks Chris, now I have a better perspective on the rivers you fish. Looks awesome. Makes me wanna pack up and go fishing for the day.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Must have been a long walk . Thanks Chris, now I have a better perspective on the rivers you fish. Looks awesome. Makes me wanna pack up and go fishing for the day.

Pleasure Dizzy. I cheated though. I used my 'Trout in the Kloofs' as reference and from the rough sketched maps therein, I plotted the pools as accurately as the detail on Google would allow, from my personal knowledge of the stream. My dad contributed greatly to this aswell. He knows the stream intimately from way back when...

Nice one Chris, a labour of love. Also the sign of an obsessive-compulsive mind

I fished the Elandspad once on a holiday to the Cape. It was December and hotashell. We fished a huge stretch of the stream up to and including the Kraal tributary. I've never been so buggered in my life! We were camping at Paarl and I was asleep well before the braai was even ready that night. I think I slept most of the next day too. Beautiful stream though, caught a few.

[QUOTE=Kevin Elliott;1566] Also the sign of an obsessive-compulsive mind
    QUOTE]

Too true!

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Howzit Chris, very cool. Had a look at this last night. Google Earth seriously blows my mind. There is also a kml file available now that allows you to view wikimapia.org features directly in google earth. I've started adding some places to wikimapia (go check out jonkershoek flyfishing)
    I agree Eben. Like flytalk, Google Earth has been for me a serious distraction and the subject of many, many unproductive hours
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 25-10-06 at 03:53 AM.

Wow Chris, thats awsome, could you tell me where the beats start and end?

And do you have any other ones?

I am speaking off the top of my head now, but the beats are more or less as follows.

Beat 1 starts at the junction of the Smalblaar and the Elands and ends at the top of Pine Pools.

Beat 2 starts at Pine Pools and ends somewhere in between the Pulpit and Easter Pools. Lookout for a fish painted on a rock.

Beat 3 starts just before Easter Pools and ends at Cave Pool

Beat 4 starts at Cave Pool and ends at the Kraalstroom junction

Beat 5 starts at the Kraalstroom junction and is fishable up to Barrier Pool

Thanks, now I cna really get fishing.
    To paint lines on a silver stretch of stream, is to be humbled by nature and to be closer to thy maker.

Looking at the CPS web site, I see they have a few beat maps, but I just cant get them to line up on an overlay. could you do the beat begining and anding points on GE place marks?
    To paint lines on a silver stretch of stream, is to be humbled by nature and to be closer to thy maker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast