Thread: Fishing private waters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fishing private waters

The other day I called the owner of a very nice piecs of water on the Vaal, with the objective of getting permission to fish his water next weekend. he is normally quite accomodating, but this time, had a few disturbing things to say about some fly fishers. he recently allowed a fly fisher access to his water for a very small fee, and found out that this person had taken guiding clients on his water for R1500.00 per day, per head, without his permission. I believe this to be totally unethical, and will lead to us having this water withdrawn from use. We need to be concious of the fact that we use other peoples property, and with the proliferation of our sport, we should be incresingly more considerate of how we use recources that do not belong to us. There are unfortunatly the few that are giving us all a bad reputation.

This has been happening for a while and it is screwing it up for the rest of us...

Those companies/people/orginisations are known and should be aware that it is not on...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

i totally agree with you guys. perhaps we should have a post of people, organizations and idiots who keep messing up for the rest of us. names of people
    organizations and idiots fishing to spawning fish, being inconsiderate and pretty much anyone who is doing fly fishing and the environment harm? not sure if that would be aloud. you guys obviously been around longer than i have.
    doing my bit to conserve are you?

Yeah, roll out the red carpet for the libel suits.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Yeah, roll out the red carpet for the libel suits.

Exactly. There are some serious players who are guilty of this and it could open up the proverbial can of worms. I myself was taken to a "private venue" by a guide whom i paid a ridiculous amount and now that i think about it I'm pretty sure he didnt mention this to the landowner...
    Check your knots!

Well I agree that something should be done however looseknot's stance on publishing their information is simply not the right way to go about it.

AFAICR there is/was an initiative by FOSAF ito certification as a guide ? Maybe some sort of leverage could be applied on guilty parties in terms of the publication of Certified River Guides and/or River Guide Best Practise principles which could be made available to the general public via the angling shops would help ito applying pressure on fly by nighters to get their act together ?
    Last edited by Scythe; 12-03-07 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Can for like to type like a poephol
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.