Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Timer for barbel

Default First Timer for barbel

Hi all,

I am new to this site. I have fished most of my fly fishing career for trout and saltwater. Now I want to try catch new species on fly!!

My target at the moment is barbel. I am looking for any tips, help, info on catching barbel on fly as well as if there are any good spots in the Durban / KZN area.

Thanks

Hi Kelvin.Check out netbooks,they have our dvd called Catfish on fly.It gives you the basic rundown on the tactics used for them.They are not hard to catch once you know what to look for.You are more than welcome to contact me for more info.They are good fun on a fly rod.Maybe pm TerryB on this site,he may know of specific places near you.

Thanks for the info. I will check out the DVD.. When do they spawn?? Was at a pond in my area yesterday and I was watching about 5 or 6 barbel in the 5kg range swimming around but weren't interested at all!!

Did a search for him but couldn't find him.. Hopefully he checks out this thread

Try TJB and/or go read on fishingowl.co.za
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Here by us they are starting to show signs of spawning,huddled together in groups of 4 or more fish.They are not feeding so targetting them is a hit and miss afair.Rather scan the waters for the cruizers that are around the pod,individual fish swimming in the near vicinity.They are usually very aggresive towards the fly and take it with gusto.I also find that the fish that rise with the gulp and you can see the tail after the gulp stay closer to the surface and casting a fly towards them usually means fish on.Especially in the early season when you hear the loud gulps the fish usually dive staright down and are harder to entice to come to the surface from down below.Just a few thoughts.

Thanks core.. going to maybe try again this weekend!! I have caught them fishing for bream with floating bread crust with my ultra light tackle so keen to catch on fly now!!

What flies should I be using?? I have been using big #4 and #2 wolly buggers?? and the retrive, should it twitchy, slow fig 8??

slow/med retrieve is best.The ideal is to cast the fly 2 or 3 times on the same spot so that it slaps the water.Then leave it a few seconds.Usually the cats come investigate the plop soumnd and pick the fly up will it sinks slowly down.

You getting me so excited!! want to go now and try this out!! Does this method work in dirty water as well if you can't see them?? The spot I fish I have never really seen them, I've caught on bait fishing for bream only... But on Sunday morning my mate and I stood, jaws on the ground watching them come up to the surface, swimming up and down the one channel and a group chilling under an overhanging tree!!

Dirty water is best.Watch the water a while,you will be surprised how they give themselves away.dark moving objects just below surface,gulps,schooling etc.Also check the very shallow areas along dams.They sometimes lie literally 50cm from the edge,so while walking the banks and you dont see anything just cast parallel to the bank a 1m or so in while you walking.You will be surprised how often you see a act swirl around the fly.Just lift fly out of water an immediately cast to the spot.If possible,obsserve when the cat gulps,which way he turns then throw 1m or so ahead in that direction 2/3 times.Post some pics when you get them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast