Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Takbok Delight and New Innovations - Largemouth Yellows

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Always steam your fly before you do the final trimming.
    For steaming, do you just hold the fly, once partially trimmed, above the boiling kettle?
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    For steaming, do you just hold the fly, once partially trimmed, above the boiling kettle?
    Ja and have a lot of cuppas. You will see the hair flare,wait for it to "dry" and finish trimming.

[QUOTE=Gerrit Viljoen;173869]Thanks Bertie

Thanks Korrie but what does " no flat planes" mean?

Gerrit
    You "head" is perfectly round.

On some of the deerhair heads, you can see a "flat" plane.

It is there where one of the cutting strokes were made.

To get a perfect round head, is not that easy, especially, when it is enlarged on a photo.

That is what I mean with a "flat plane"
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

OK I see what you mean.

First you follow the line of the dumbell eye on either side.Trim it flush along the sides and to a certain extent the underside,leave the top for now.Then for the roundness you actually fold/bend the blade using your thumb and index finger and stroke/slide backwards.This will create the roundness.

Ps.Now that I have a lot of you sold here is the knockout, I used Photoshop to 'tie' ths fly. (net 'n grappie)
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 06-10-10 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Ja and have a lot of cuppas. You will see the hair flare,wait for it to "dry" and finish trimming.
    What is the reason for steaming the deer hair?? I love tying deer hair!! Goeies Gerrit!
    ..there we were..5 against 100.. ..Man did we F@k those 5 up..!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    What is the reason for steaming the deer hair?? I love tying deer hair!! Goeies Gerrit!
    If my memory serves me correct....steaming expands the air pockets in the deer hair, which creates more volume. Your finished effect should look more "tighter".

It helps with the trimming.. Any fibres which have been missed, protrude and can now be cut allowing for a neater profile..
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Great work G.

As you know I LOVE DH and GoTo/Bugger type flies and therefore I am also HEAVY on blades - I recently bought in bulk from AFRICA, I bought the Gillette Minora (sheet of 10x5 = 50) as well as Super-Max Super Stainless (sheet of 25x5 = 125).

The Minora sheets are expensive in comparison (>R150) but I knew the quality; because the Super-Max was so cheap [think it was <R80 for the entire sheet) I bought it as a test - quality is 100%.

I have not compared the bending quality as I prefer a more 'flat' / squared head [FF related obviously].

I use a Dr. Slick Hair Scissor that I bought from Stream-X for R172 a few months back, then finish using a straight blade. I have read Murray's articles but have not tried steaming yet.

Will give steaming and the guard a try when the kids allows me some time again

These flies are AWeSoMe!!!

Just a quick one.. I spin and stack DH when tying muddlers, poppers ect. I cant think of how you would spin around or stack in between or rite up against the dumbell eyes??? How how how???
    ..there we were..5 against 100.. ..Man did we F@k those 5 up..!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    These flies are AWeSoMe!!!

Just a quick one.. I spin and stack DH when tying muddlers, poppers ect. I cant think of how you would spin around or stack in between or rite up against the dumbell eyes??? How how how???
    EAZY!

Just spin and stack; I probably spin only once or twice after the collar, and then just stack, last stack being right on top and between the dumbell eyes.

And WHAA-LAA!

Try it, not rocket science - even I managed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2