Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass fishing and the required line?

Question Bass fishing and the required line?

So im trying the bass fishing thing out seeing that its quite far to go to dullstream to fish for trout every time...bought a nice rod and real and bunch load of soft plastics, spinners cranks etc... went fishing at Bass paradys yesterday... what a awesome place.. i got there 6:30am its just outside cullinan so i started working a big damn from the shallows and where i could see fish... nothing caught .. than the afternoon the sun came out and i got some advice on how to work a plastic lure and waded a smaller damn and stalked some bass. one hit my line so hard before i could strike the line was off..i was using 4.5kg 0.18mm line and so my day ended seeing i had more bites and as i set the hook ,snap goes the line.. what line should i be using i want it to be a challenge but still be able to fish the reeds and stuff .. it sounds like everyone is using braided line? is this like backing on our trout reels? im using a shakespear spinning baitcaster or push button reel if you will.. must say bass fishing is quite fun... i love the stalk .. and being waste deep in the water just casting 2meters between reeds....
    Thanks in advance for any advice..
    Derick

Throw a fly for them... Bass are suckers...

I haven't been much of a bass angler but I did fish a few times with some competitive bass anglers... they will all tell you that 4.5kg is way to light, step up to 15lb and you shouldn't have a problem and if there is a lot of structure 20 even 25lb line...

Bass are spawning this time of the year so they are either very agro and want to attack any thing that falls in there nest or not iterested at all...

If you see a bass or pair of bass hanging around a spot and not moving, its propably there nest.. Throw you rubber worm a few meters past them, wait for it to sink and twitch the rod tip up 3 time and lower the tip winding in the slack.. try bounce the worm straight into the nest, and WAM bobs your uncle...

they dont "eat" the worm, they pick it up and move it out the nest, giving you that extra time to set the hood..

If fishing blind over the shallows this time of the year, watch the line and you will see it move left or right, go slack or it feels heavy, struck!!

Just make sure the fish is landed quickly and returned nuharmed to the water as it is spawning season...

Hope this helps

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by kelvin View Post
    Throw a fly for them... Bass are suckers...

I haven't been much of a bass angler but I did fish a few times with some competitive bass anglers... they will all tell you that 4.5kg is way to light, step up to 15lb and you shouldn't have a problem and if there is a lot of structure 20 even 25lb line...

Bass are spawning this time of the year so they are either very agro and want to attack any thing that falls in there nest or not iterested at all...

If you see a bass or pair of bass hanging around a spot and not moving, its propably there nest.. Throw you rubber worm a few meters past them, wait for it to sink and twitch the rod tip up 3 time and lower the tip winding in the slack.. try bounce the worm straight into the nest, and WAM bobs your uncle...

they dont "eat" the worm, they pick it up and move it out the nest, giving you that extra time to set the hood..

If fishing blind over the shallows this time of the year, watch the line and you will see it move left or right, go slack or it feels heavy, struck!!

Just make sure the fish is landed quickly and returned nuharmed to the water as it is spawning season...

Hope this helps
    thanks it does but id probably have to use my 6weight for the bass with bass flies? i must say bass angling is quite hard i thought it would be way easier than fishing for trout... but i like the stalk and stealth... i just flick it over a reed and while it sinks i watch the line go but missed alot of strikes guess cause i was too concious of my line breaking and losing hooks that cost almost R10 each ...
    D

sorry to answer your question about braided line...

Fly line backing is dacron it is much thicker than braided lines...

Baided lines are super thin with very high breaking strains... Now days the concept of braided lines has graon quite a bit and improvements have ben made..

Advantages:
    thin with high breaking strain
    no stretch at all
    casts well into the wind due to low diameter
    waxes braids float in the water surface
    VERY DIRECT!!!

Disadvantages:
    No strech (the hooks can be pulled out or to much pressure put on fish)
    leaders are a must
    special knots needed
    braid gets stuck (braid doesn't break at the said b/s)
    expensive

Having said that, braid is the best thing since slide bread.. Just make sure you get casting braid for the best results.. Braid used on surf reels for backing tends to be a bit stiff and not cast friendly..

hope that helps

cool thanks alot cause i was thinking of just getting backing cause i have pretty neon yellow backing on my reels.. but will get the right stuff... dont think ill go with the floating.. i have a closed baitcaster so will have to use thin diameter or it will suffer casting distance and accuracy... use a leader? like a tapered leader or what and why?? oh also can i get neon braid... and what knots i hate knots i can only m ake a normal clinch knot.... am i right if i say in flyfishing u have ur backing attached to the reel than ur flyline to that than a tapered leader to flyline and a tippet to the leader? well i dont even use a tippet cant make that knot.. i just use the loeader till its like 5foot then replace it... i tried to make a leader for my 6weight flyrod to catch bass on the other day and the knot slipped on itself and ripped my fly line... how can i learn to make knots?
    Derick

sorry to answer your question about braided line...

Fly line backing is dacron it is much thicker than braided lines...

Baided lines are super thin with very high breaking strains... Now days the concept of braided lines has graon quite a bit and improvements have ben made..

Advantages:
    thin with high breaking strain
    no stretch at all
    casts well into the wind due to low diameter
    waxes braids float in the water surface
    VERY DIRECT!!!

Disadvantages:
    No strech (the hooks can be pulled out or to much pressure put on fish)
    leaders are a must
    special knots needed
    braid gets stuck (braid doesn't break at the said b/s)
    expensive

Having said that, braid is the best thing since slide bread.. Just make sure you get casting braid for the best results.. Braid used on surf reels for backing tends to be a bit stiff and not cast friendly..

hope that helps

braids are not bright colours with most being a dark diry green, brown, olive but some are white, thats the closest you'll get to neon...

Because braid is expensive and knots are hard to tie, the leader is just a length of nylon usually 3 - 4ft, non tappered.. Learn the albright knot if you want to fish braid, it is by far the strongest to use..

Also the leader helps when you get stuck as the braid is very hard to break, the the leader is the weak point between the braid and the hook...

Braid for casting replaces the main line so it would be the "nylon" on the reel.. It would be attached to the spool and fill the whole reel with just a short leader on the front to attach the hook / lure / worm...

braids are not bright colours with most being a dark diry green, brown, olive but some are white, thats the closest you'll get to neon...

Because braid is expensive and knots are hard to tie, the leader is just a length of nylon usually 3 - 4ft, non tappered.. Learn the albright knot if you want to fish braid, it is by far the strongest to use..

Also the leader helps when you get stuck as the braid is very hard to break, the the leader is the weak point between the braid and the hook...

Braid for casting replaces the main line so it would be the "nylon" on the reel.. It would be attached to the spool and fill the whole reel with just a short leader on the front to attach the hook / lure / worm...
    ok cool where can i learn knots i bought the merge dvd it shows but i need it like step bu step pictures is the albright the one that can absorb shock? when i go buy braid what do i ask for? my rod is just over 6feet maybe like 7. and i want a good make cause it seems these cheap lines are rubbish.
    And what kgs would u recommend the guy yesterday said bout 9kgs?? isnt it cheating catching a 3kg if ur lucky fisk on 9kg?

just bought rapala braid 13.5kg for R99 its rapala titanuim

Braid for R99 ? For what length ... 10M ?

If it's a spool of 100M or 200M for R99 ... you may as well chuck it.

Good braid is expensive.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

here it is man its 130meters..
    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Braid for R99 ? For what length ... 10M ?

If it's a spool of 100M or 200M for R99 ... you may as well chuck it.

Good braid is expensive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast