Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eikendal

Default Eikendal

Pondering about heading through to Eikendal tomorrow to give it a go as I have never been there.

Spoke with Phil, informed me on the cost and everything, so I'm sorted for all of that, but perhaps someone might have some tips for me?

I have read other posts (http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=4322) about the venue, but didn't really pick up too much and the most recent posts were a few months ago
    Fishing the Western Cape waters.. Fly Waters
    A Cape Town Blog by Chris M.. iMod.co.za

when you get there Phillip will tell you all you need to know
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Thanks Jasper

Booger Rose Banned User

Might be a bit busy tomorow - it's the Helderberg Wine festival and as far as I know Eikendal is part of the weekend fun. If you not to worried about people around then you'll enjoy the trippy and taste a bit of wine!

Ah, that's good to know, thanks for sharing. I'm still a novice, but I'm not too worried if there are other people around, but I'll see how things go

So I went through to Eikendal on Saturday around 10h30 and Phillip assisted me on where to go and what to try. Unfortunately I was called away after about 45 minutes so I didn't get a proper feel for the place.

I went back on Sunday and spent a good few hours on the dam, plenty of visible fish and jumping fish, however, they weren't interested in my flies, so I didn't have any catches I didn't see other fishermen pulling fish out either, so perhaps they just weren't hungry

Did you fish the top or the bottom dam Chris?
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

I'm still quite a beginner, but what I can tell you is..

I have intermediate line, which from what I can tell does sink fairly well. I tried an assortment of flies from wet and dry, ensuring that the dry ones floated on the top.

Does that help at all? Sorry

Hey don't worry at being a beginner - I am also still VERY new at this fly fishing game and with the new rock and surf league seasone that's started, fly fishing is going to take a bit of a backseat at the moment.

I've only caught two fish at Eikendal (on the two occasions that I've been there)

First one was a rainbow in the top dam after Philip gave me some advice to use a chartreuse cats whisker fly and fish it on a floating line.

The second fish was a 44cm brown trout from the bottom dam - also on a floating line with a small beaded white death as fly choice.
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I'm still quite a beginner, but what I can tell you is..

I have intermediate line, which from what I can tell does sink fairly well. I tried an assortment of flies from wet and dry, ensuring that the dry ones floated on the top.

Does that help at all? Sorry
    I wouldn't be too worried about blanking at Eikenda.The problem with stocky fish is that they get quite clever in my experience, and you have to feed them something ultra realistic and small or something that will cause irritation and aggression. Red San Juan worms work a bomb on a dropper below a weightless nymph on an inter line I find, but I'm not a great stillwater fisherman I know that much
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast