Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: NZ rigs, yarn indicators and the short comings

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Nogal 'n verandering in jou uitkyk.
    so maand of vier terug, het jy geglo en gehou van hoe die "dobbertjie" disappear.
    Die dobbertjie wou nie meer disappear nie toe moes ek soek na alternatiewe!

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Rig also works well on clanwilliam yellows, my best yellow to date on an indicator rig.
    Looking at the water, then looking at the fish. Then looked at the water again. Looked at the fish again ... conclusion ... I'll chase yellows every day of my life if they are in water like that!!

Awesome AWESOME fish there mate!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Looking at the water, then looking at the fish. Then looked at the water again. Looked at the fish again ... conclusion ... I'll chase yellows every day of my life if they are in water like that!!

Thanks Mario

We really are lucky here in the Cape. Fishing like this is not easy, at least the surroundings are magnificent and the water clear...
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by kyle-J View Post
    i believe that confidence has ALOT to do with catching fish.... if you are confident with yarn, are familiar with its shortfalls ... i firmly believe that it is as effective as most other methods.... and vice versa.....
    True dat....

That's exactly the point...it's like flies as well. You and the guy next to you can be fishing the exact same flies, and he can be nailing fish and you get nothing. It's 'cos he knows where to fish that fly, how fast, has confidence in it, how the fish is going to take it, etc etc...
    Whereas you may be just casting the thing out there, frustrated, strip back quickly, not paying attention, no confidence.
    Same thing with yarn indicators...or any indicator for that matter.

It's like beetles on Sterkies...everyone raves about a certain beetle pattern there...I HATE it there! Never fish it. Fished it once for about ten minutes, then took it off.
    But, if you ONLY fish that beetle pattern at Sterkies, of course it's going to be the best fly for you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
    I started out this season with a indicator, but as always, I'm open to other methods and ideas (except Czech nymphing).

Why not Czech Nymping?

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    In theory yes, but in practical application not always true. Smaller flies are often sparsely tied with slim profiles and will not always be "wash ahead" of the "heavier" fly.

Furthermore, you can also mend your rig to ensure that the "control" or bigger fly is ahead (ie downstream) of the smaller "point" fly and ensure that you eradicate all slack from the rig so that when a fish touches the fly the indicator responds without the "delay" you are refering to.

Rig also works well on clanwilliam yellows, my best yellow to date on an indicator rig.
    I'm heading out in November for Clanwilliams...but that is an awesome fish bro!!!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Mooi Liam,

You can leke hide behind that boulder and lob some flies into that honey pot on the right!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Why not Czech Nymping?
    To me it just doesn't feel like "fly fishing". You can take off all the backing and flyline, only have around 50m of mono on the reel and Czech Nymphing has not changed at all, in fact, I know of people who has done just that.

Without getting into a debate again on what constitutes "fly fishing", I just don't like it. Is it effective, for sure, but so is putting a worm on a hook, that is not the point.
    Like someone else mentioned, if you do not enjoy what YOU are doing, then what is the point?

That is the last I have to say on the matter, I do not want to derail the thread, we can start another one on discussing Czech nymphing hates and loves.

Korrie, what method do you use then?

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
    To me it just doesn't feel like "fly fishing". You can take off all the backing and flyline, only have around 50m of mono on the reel and Czech Nymphing has not changed at all, in fact, I know of people who has done just that.

Without getting into a debate again on what constitutes "fly fishing", I just don't like it. Is it effective, for sure, but so is putting a worm on a hook, that is not the point.
    Like someone else mentioned, if you do not enjoy what YOU are doing, then what is the point?

That is the last I have to say on the matter, I do not want to derail the thread, we can start another one on discussing Czech nymphing hates and loves.

Korrie, what method do you use then?
    I have a variety of methods that I use.
    a. in certain conditions, I do use an indicator, as mentioned, Yarn is not my favourite, I prefer to use mouldable floating putty, squeezed/rolled in a a long 2cm plus cylinder. In competitions, I have flies, tied for the specific purpose.
    I find that a long cylinder type of setup, is more acurate at picking up subtle takes.
    b. the front of my fly line for certain types of Cz Nymphing.
    c. the coiled mono/spring/corkscrew, is my all round general favourite.

If you are ever in the Cape, with some spare time, we can go and fish, and have long discussions about indicators. Will be good to exchange some ideas.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post

I couldn't agree more Mario. I had no idea you could catch yellows in such beautiful spots.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast