View Poll Results: How does the eye direction affect hook-up?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Up-eye - hooked top lip

1 14.29%
  • Up-eye - hook bottom lip

1 14.29%
  • Down-eye - hooked top lip

3 42.86%
  • Down-eye - hooked bottom lip

4 57.14%
  • Straight-eye - hooked top lip

2 28.57%
  • Straight-eye - hooked bottom lip

2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hook eye and Hookup??

Default Hook eye and Hookup??

How does the Eye direction affect hookups?

I'm doing a bit of research ito the following, so if anyone willing could just help by a few clicks on the poll it would help a lot.

When fishing a specific hook - where do you note most of your hook-ups to be??

Thanks
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario - I voted based on my experience, but I think how the weight is placed in a fly has a lot to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    How does the Eye direction affect hookups?

I'm doing a bit of research ito the following, so if anyone willing could just help by a few clicks on the poll it would help a lot.

When fishing a specific hook - where do you note most of your hook-ups to be??

Thanks
    I vote down eye and scissors.Sorry not in poll.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 05-11-10 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post
    Mario - I voted based on my experience, but I think how the weight is placed in a fly has a lot to do with it.
    Experience is what is required - thanks.

Agreed, weight is one element, but do all your nymphs have beads and lead?? What about dry flies/emergers?
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddogs View Post
    sorry cant help you i hook most of my fish in their fins. i have been told it is because all my flies are tied in a straight line and that i am too slow when my float dips
    If you can show me how to tie my flies in a curved line I'd be much obliged
    Mario Geldenhuys

i dont understand. what i mean is that my flies are tied to the line one after the other in a staight line and apparently that is why i fowl hook the fish. it is not me who ties it to my rod anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    I vote down eye and scissors.Sorry not in poll.
    Scissors for me would qualify as top lip - thanks.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddogs View Post
    i dont understand. what i mean is that my flies are tied to the line one after the other in a staight line and apparently that is why i fowl hook the fish. it is not me who ties it to my rod anyways.
    Was just being a little sarcastic there DD, sorry bout that Can't imagine why having your flies in a "straight" line would cause foul hookups anyway - but this is something for another thread I would imagine.
    Mario Geldenhuys

I only use down eye or straight eye hooks.
    It all depends how the fly is tied, and how I set the hook,

With the nymphs, it is in the scissors and top lip, most of the time.
    With dries, a mixture of top lip, scissors and bottom lip.

Can't really place a vote with such results
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    It all depends how the fly is tied, and how I set the hook,
    Explain .... curious how you can control the position of the hook on a free-drifting nymph.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast