Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural materials dubbing problems

Default Natural materials dubbing problems

Hi Guys

I've only recently started tying up my own flies and I'm having some trouble using the natural dubbing. In this specific case I am using squirrel dubbing which I can't seem to get dubbed properly around the thread and once I start dressing the dubbing it tends to come loose and part from the thread causing large humps in the fly.
    Are there any tips you guys can give me or is there any specific way of dubbing with these kinds of materials???

Thanks in advance!

I normally choose the same color rabbit dubbing which has a binding effect and normally mix the two.
    I then pick it out to end with a nice rough finish
    Jannie

Yes, try blending your materials, to find a more user friendly mix. It also might be your technique that needs some adjustment. Squirrel shouldn't really be a problem. Also, try using less dubbing.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks guys!

Much appreciated!

Don't be afraid to apply more pressure between your thumb and index finger, while "twisting, rubbing" the dubbing onto the thread.
    Also twist,rubb clock wise.

It is normally a problem, with newer fly tyers. That they do not apply enough pressure.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Henk have a look at the link below. Probably the best dubbing tutorial you will find.

http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=4046
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Andre's advice is really good - less is definitely more!

Alternatively you could try dubbing wax of sorts if you're just starting out. The split thread dubbing technique might also be somethign worth trying.
    Check your knots!

Have a look at Davie McPhail's video's on YouTube.

You spin the noodle on the thread, push the tip of the noodle up the thread till against the hook, wind the thread around once or twice till the tip of the noodle is locked in. Spin(tighten) the noodle in the same direction before the next wind around the hook.

It takes time to master the amount of spinning you need before winding.

Hope it make sense.

Always spin the dubbing only in one direction. (I ccould never figure out if it is better clockwise or anti-clockwise )

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzers View Post
    Have a look at Davie McPhail's video's on YouTube.

You spin the noodle on the thread, push the tip of the noodle up the thread till against the hook, wind the thread around once or twice till the tip of the noodle is locked in. Spin(tighten) the noodle in the same direction before the next wind around the hook.

It takes time to master the amount of spinning you need before winding.

Hope it make sense.

Always spin the dubbing only in one direction. (I ccould never figure out if it is better clockwise or anti-clockwise )
    Take 2 piece of string and wind around a bar. see what happens with the string. it twists up.
    If you do the dubbing noodle the wrong way around, it will unwind, becoming loose, while you are wrapping the thread along the hook shank.
    You want to the dubbing to keep on twisting as you wrap along the hook shank.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks Morne! If I can't get it right after going through that tutorial I probably never will!

Buzzer, will be checking out Davie McPhail's video tonight as I might be shot at work if I go onto Youtube!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast