Thread: Tofo Mozambique

Default Tofo Mozambique

I'm heading off to Tofo in January. I have read through some of the older threads pertaining to Mozambique but would like to get some info specifically on Tofo. I will have the use of a boat so a 12wt would not be a bad idea (budget allowing of course...) If you guys can give me any info regarding species to target, specific spots, tackle requirements, specific flies or just previous experience please speak up. Also I need a new reel for my 9wt and I'm not really considering anything other than a Shilton SL6. If you know of a place where I can get one at a decent price please let me know.

Bro ill be there from the 10th to the 23rd Dec, so gimme a shout after and ill let you know how I go. Also Im gong to Transkie from the 23rd to the 2nd Jan with Christiaan. What date will you be up there?
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

I'll be there from the 1st to 14th of Jan. Dude if you find any info or know of someone wanting to sell a SL6 please lemme know! The Transkei trip sounds sick aswell!

I think John at Upstream was selling a second hand one... or was it a 7? Give him a shout.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

The onshore fishing at Tofo (and the inhambane area generally) is pretty shot due to locals raping the rocks of all life. Opposite a place called Blue Roofs in Tofinho is a tiny bay, fishing off the southern point at low tide can be amusing (bonefish, pompano, kingies, trigger fish). The point at Barra has yielded some fun, but expect to work hard for small kingies and 3 spot pompano.

Offshore there is also pretty average. We normally make the trip to Guinjata/Paindane and fish to the ocean side of the paindane reef. GT's on poppers. But getting close enough to use a fly could be dangerous.

Thanks for the info Circus and Maddy! Much appreciated. I will tie up the usual array of clousers etc. Was thinking of taking a spinning outfit aswell, eventually decided against it. I think in the end we will probably focus more on offshore, seeing that the shoreline has been raped and pillaged. Maybe look for Queenies etc behind the breakline or target reefs or pinnacles for GT's. Seems like I will get my 12wt so offshore should be fine, unless I hook into a Marlin or a tug boat. I will give John a call tomorrow. I'll give feedback after the trip so that if guys decide to go in the future they'll have an idea what they're up for.

I have 4 days in Tofo for business in mid-Jan...anyone have any advice or thoughts on chucking a fly in this area?

Any thoughts out there?