Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durban Harbour

Wink Durban Harbour

Hi Fellow Anglers,

I will be in Durban for some business, and have so much about fly fishing in Durban harbour, so I would like to give it a try. Where is the best place to fish and what species are around and what flies etc, anything to help would be great and appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

Hey Gloomis

Your best man to speak to is Sudesh Prasad at Bamba Flyfishing in KZN, he'll be able to fill you in.

You can contact him here: http://www.bamba.co.za/

Tight lines
    Nepps
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Hey Gloomis

Your best man to speak to is Sudesh Prasad at Bamba Flyfishing in KZN, he'll be able to fill you in.

You can contact him here: http://www.bamba.co.za/

Tight lines
    Nepps

Hi Nepps,

Sudesh is a good friend of mine I fish on a regular basis with Sudesh, I have just spent the weekend in Kosi with him. I have spoken to him, in the harbour itself he likes to fish off a boat for Springer etc, he has given some spots which I will try, but was wondering if anyone had a specefic spot they have had success on.

G

Hi Peter

Species to target are Bigeye Kingfish, Springer, Sand Gurnard, Grunter (difficult); Pickhandle; Needlescale queenfish. There are also other species such as Perch, rock cod, shad, mullet, threadfin, bonefish, queenfish, garfish etc..I am sure I have left some off the list.

For now you would probably target kingies, springer, pickhandle, needlescale & Sand Gurnies.

Flies to use range from chartreuse clousers, Jerry Glassy, white Salty Bugger & Flipper.

I belive North Pier is now closed, they are widening the pier for a new marina development. I usually fish a place called Royal Zulu which is next to the container depot, past Bluff yacht club near the windsailing club.

There have been a few encounters lately with the police I hear, seems like they want to stop fishing in the harbour from wharves, jetty's etc. We normally wade the banks & they leave us alone. Just make sure you have your fishing licence.

If you want, let me know when you are down & I can show you Royal & give it a go from the banks.
    Born to fish, forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by bluegill View Post
    Hi Peter

Species to target are Bigeye Kingfish, Springer, Sand Gurnard, Grunter (difficult); Pickhandle; Needlescale queenfish. There are also other species such as Perch, rock cod, shad, mullet, threadfin, bonefish, queenfish, garfish etc..I am sure I have left some off the list.

For now you would probably target kingies, springer, pickhandle, needlescale & Sand Gurnies.

Flies to use range from chartreuse clousers, Jerry Glassy, white Salty Bugger & Flipper.

I belive North Pier is now closed, they are widening the pier for a new marina development. I usually fish a place called Royal Zulu which is next to the container depot, past Bluff yacht club near the windsailing club.

There have been a few encounters lately with the police I hear, seems like they want to stop fishing in the harbour from wharves, jetty's etc. We normally wade the banks & they leave us alone. Just make sure you have your fishing licence.

If you want, let me know when you are down & I can show you Royal & give it a go from the banks.
    Hi Bluegill,

Thanks for the info, sounds awsome, I have many a specie on fly, believe it or not I don't have a Pickhandle have tried and tried for them with no success, so that is one specie I want to target. I was in Kosi the weekend and got a vey nice springer (90cm) and a 4kg Rock Salmon. I will defnitly send you a message when I am in town maybe hook up and do some fishing..

P

Hey Peter

Please do that, would be great. One also needs very thick fluro carbon for pickhandle, I got clean bitten off a few weeks ago. Check the tides & let me know.

I also need to get to Kosi soon, have heard about the big Rock salmon there.

Cheers

Alan
    Born to fish, forced to work

I tell you what a fight, got him on a 12# weight G.Loomis Cross Current with a Shilton SL7 and fought me 100m into the backing, the fishing was not that great though, at night in the mouth itself seems to be the most productive at the moment.

Loomis

Nice rig mate, that set up will hadle pretty much anything you can come across anywhere!!

Any pics of that Rocky? Thats a bus fish, love to see a shot of that!
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

There is an article on durban harbour in either the tcff or the African Flyfisherman, i forget exactly which one. I didnt think it contained much useful info though so flick through first.
    Check your knots!

hi all, what's the current state of durban harbour? is it still durban harbour, or is it pinetown harbour?

is it fishable?

cheers,
    D
    the patient mental...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast