Thread: New and confused.....again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New and confused.....again

Morning all.
    New to the site, and to forums completely.
    Quite new to fly fishing as well but am nuts about it.
    Off to Lakenvlei near Dullstroom in 3 weeks. Any suggestions on flies to use, etc???
    oh. and how do I see if I got a reply? Told you I'm confused

Welcome and enjoy!
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Hey man
    I had the privelage of fishing Lakenvlei for about 45 minutes before sunrise this winter on a business stay over. Its an awesome venue! The trout dams are fed from kms of wetland so the water is in great condition as are the fish id imagine.

So from my 45minutes on the water (at the first dam) this is what i know. DONT GO OUT BEFORE SUNRISE in winter! its a joke how cold it was. I literally broke the ice. I jumped on one of thier boats and fished right aong the reeds at the dam wall in the first dam. I caught 2 stokies on a walkers killer trailing a dragon fly nymph. They both faught well above thier weight.

I ve been told that you ll often catch big trout there - especially in the botton trout dam. There were a family of otters where i launched which provided some entertainment and distraction from the rediculous tempreture.

Get onto a boat or kick boat and I dont think you ll have a problem with the trout. Floating line may be handy as alot of the top dam looked quite weedy and shallow.

Thats my 2 cents - but i really havent been there long enough to give solid advice.

good luck

Thanks Flash
    After all that I wont make it to Lakenvlei. Plans have changed but still going somewhere in Dullstroom. Not sure where yet but believe me I'll post the veue for tips soon.

Welcome Adamski

With regards to knowing if you got a reply, scroll towards the top of this page and look for "Thread Tools", with an arrow next to it - click it. Then select "Subscribe to this thread" - here you will be able to choose to subscribe to receive an email when someone replies to your posts.

I've no fished Lakenvlei unfortunately, but good luck for where ever you arrive
    Fishing the Western Cape waters.. Fly Waters
    A Cape Town Blog by Chris M.. iMod.co.za

Howzit!!!!!!

Thanks for thr info Chris I did it. Stops me searching like a fool every day.

Hiya CJ