Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rivers near Joburg

Default Rivers near Joburg

As the heading says.... anyone know of rivers (or dams) near joburg?
    I'm a Brookwood local but looking to expand horizons (new to joburg) and fnd a few rivers nearby.
    Anyone?
    Anyone?

Cheers....

Hi Adam

The Vaal river is less than an hour away and there are loads of venues to fish there. Do a search for venues like yellowfish paradise (http://www.yellowfishparadise.co.za), silwerstrome, eendekuil and ben johs and you will find tons of info.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Hey dude, welcome to the forum.. Depends on what you want to target? If you want to go for trout, brookwood is the place.. If you want to go for some Carp,barbel,bass and bream there are quite a few places worth fishing..

You have Florida Lake(dont go alone though), Krugersdorp close to Monnas High School, Emmarentia Dam and a few other ponds in and around those mentioned. They all have Carp,barbel, and bass. Not too sure about the other dams but Florida Lake has got some bream(kurper) which I have heard of people picking up some monsters..

Unfortunately in Jozi thats the best you gonna get..

Cheers
    ..there we were..5 against 100.. ..Man did we F@k those 5 up..!

There are a few places to try around JHB.
    Ive been told the Crocodile River can be quite good if you can find a good spot, as is the Magalies River. I havent fished either much so cant offer much on them.

Depending where you live in JHB there are a few little dams around that one can target the usual bass, carp, talapia and barbel if you are interested. There are little dams in fourways, Lonehill, Sandton/Randburg, and Galoolies that I have fished.

None are particularly great but when you need a quick fly fishing fix they do just fine.

If you are willing to drive a little further than Brookwood you should try Trout Hunters. Its a super venue for targeting carp on fly - well worth the drive (20min further than Brookwood).

Happy hunting

Adam, if you want to stay closer to home than the vaal, look around muldersdrift area. You can catch yellows in some of the rivers, but its very tough (rather get to the vaal). Heia Safari lodge has a beautifully clear dam with enthusiastic bass and you can even hire a canoe there if you don't have a float tube.

You wont get much info on streams im afraid.
    Most guys would sooner give you their sisters phone number than drop a location. And Im afraid thats a good thing because its probably the only reason said streams are still worth fishing.
    Basically the only way to really find the info is to either do the legwork yourself or find a kind benefactor who you can bribe

The public venues listed above though should keep you busy for many a moon
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Default Trout Dams @ Cedar Sqauare?

Guys, I believe there are some new trout dams at Cedar Square.
    Anyone know anything about them?
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Guys, I believe there are some new trout dams at Cedar Square.
    Anyone know anything about them?
    Ja it's Dirk Le Roux's uncle's. Shouldn't be that hard nailing the Albino's....

Default cheers

Thanks all for the info it's a helluvalota reading.

schloshd1 - tks I checked the site. Never tried yellows but here they a good fight. Will plan a trip there shortly.

Gwydion - not so much into carp and barbel, and hear all you need for emmerentia is a fly rod and a 6 shooter and more of a safety vest than a fly vest. cheers mate.

Flashback Rob - i'm in fourways, how do i find the quick fix places. at the moment i'm still doing more cast practise that actual catching. Question - how can trout hunters be a place to target carp???

Circus - are there mostly yellows around joburg? everyone seems to say so

markdej - tks mark, looking at some of the profile pics not sure if i'd want the sisters numbers. looks like i got legwork till i can bribe.

dizzy - it only smells like fish around cedar square, its only some of the ftv girls

tks all for the info.............

Quote Originally Posted by adamski View Post
    Gwydion - not so much into carp and barbel, and hear all you need for emmerentia is a fly rod and a 6 shooter and more of a safety vest than a fly vest. cheers mate......
    I would disagree a bit, I fish emmarentia quite a bit and I have never had problems there.. There are two other little ponds that feed off emmies that also have some nice bass and a lot safer..Dont diss the place before you have tried it..

Otherwise give me a shout and I will join you there or I will show you some other spots to fish
    ..there we were..5 against 100.. ..Man did we F@k those 5 up..!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast