Thread: Barbel fly

Default Barbel fly

I have had alot of questions regarding barbel flies so i decided to post a pic of the fly and how to tie it.We call it the Jm platana.You tie tie in 2 tails with zonker,about the length of a long shank hook.Then tie in a underbody of egg yarn(this is only to get it slightly heavier as egg yarn absorbs the water).Now just palmer a length of zonker over the egg yarn towards the hook eye and tie off.To get a heavy version of the fly just leave out the egg yarn and add big dumbell eyes.In smaller sizes this could be a killer largie fly too due to the awesome movement in the water.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks a mil man! sure this will kill the bass as well!!!

will give it a test run in a small dam with lots of barbel soon!

must push lots of water and movement will be killer

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    I have had alot of questions regarding barbel flies so i decided to post a pic of the fly and how to tie it.We call it the Jm platana.You tie tie in 2 tails with zonker,about the length of a long shank hook.Then tie in a underbody of egg yarn(this is only to get it slightly heavier as egg yarn absorbs the water).Now just palmer a length of zonker over the egg yarn towards the hook eye and tie off.To get a heavy version of the fly just leave out the egg yarn and add big dumbell eyes.In smaller sizes this could be a killer largie fly too due to the awesome movement in the water.
    Hi Core fly..
    What coulours are those and what other coulour combinations would one use?

You can really use any colour combination.I tend to use darker colours due to our murky waters.Instead of palmering zonker strip around the shank you can even use marabou using a dubbin loop,it alsio gives it a nice look and action.Play around a bit and post your variation here.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    You can really use any colour combination.I tend to use darker colours due to our murky waters.Instead of palmering zonker strip around the shank you can even use marabou using a dubbin loop,it alsio gives it a nice look and action.Play around a bit and post your variation here.
    Will do, I am also leaning towards the Magic tool and putting the zonker into split thread...
    will try and get to the shops this weekend and play arount a bit..

I have tried that before,it works well too,just a bit more time cunsuming than palmering a length around the shank,but the fishish is good,especially when you want to tie a bit smaller fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Will do, I am also leaning towards the Magic tool and putting the zonker into split thread...
    will try and get to the shops this weekend and play arount a bit..
    I've tried this and found it far easier to palmer the zonker.

I've used a similar palmered zonker and yarn/wool fly for a good few seasons and after trying all sorts of different things (clicking beads, split tails, knots in the tail) I simplified on red yarn/wool for the underbody and black palmered zonker for the rest. Single zonker strip tail with a mono loop under it to stop any potential tail wraps.
    Check your knots!

Great fly core... must add it to my "flies to tie" list...

I have given up on searching for barbel in Durban!!! there is nothing here, but in a few months time I move up to Johannesburg so sure I will have more joy up there, evem more so that I have read that there is a dam close to here I am looking to relocate won't let the other half know that...