Thread: Broadening my horizons - Tube fly newbie

Arrow Broadening my horizons - Tube fly newbie

Hi,

I'd like to explore some new avenues ito tying and thought I'd start with Tube flies for freshwater applications. I have never seen such a fly/tube and was wondering if any of you could advise me on good books,dvd's,etc.

My new Vise is on it's way (ye another Christmas pressie ) so I obviously need to get the appropriate tube accesories. Will do so soon but first I need some info.

I saw one of Carls tubes but can't find the vid anymore. That was just excellent so thanks Pezvela for "introducing" me to tube flies.

Hope to see some Salty input!!!!!!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 30-11-10 at 08:48 AM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

As with everthing else fly fishy there are thousands of options
    There are genraly three sizes of tubes
    small large and XL with lots of weighting options

I purchased lots of different types of heads and connectors
    and in reality I just needed one size tube and connective tube (soft cheap fish tank pipe works way better than the expensive one)

I now just use the large HMH plastic tubes for all my salty tube flys from #6 to double 9/0 hooks
    I have gone away from trying to find cheap tubes after some "failures" when you put epoxy on the wraps

Mc's Bick refill "snip" method works well but the guys in the office look at you funny

I would start simple

What patterns are you thinking of tying ?

Most "tube" flys are streamers

here are two good books on the subject

http://www.netbooks.co.za/Main.asp?D...571880364+++++

http://www.netbooks.co.za/Main.asp?D...571884017+++++

as far as web ideas and options go

www.canadiantubeflies.com

is good

Post the pics of your creations

/d
    Last edited by damage; 30-11-10 at 07:52 AM.
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

a very good supply of tubes are lollipops.

The "stick/handle" is hollow.
    It is a very hard plastic.
    does not "collapse" when tying and is very easily obtainable.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

What about that South African guy with a tube fly company, he lives in Sweden, Norway or some other scandanavian place. Guides pike and so on.

I think he hung out here for a wile...

I will surf the net for him again..
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Quote Originally Posted by damage View Post
    As with everthing else fly fishy there are thousands of options
    There are genraly three sizes of tubes
    small large and XL with lots of weighting options

I purchased lots of different types of heads and connectors
    and in reality I just needed one size tube and connective tube (soft cheap fish tank pipe works way better than the expensive one)

I now just use the large HMH plastic tubes for all my salty tube flys from #6 to double 9/0 hooks
    I have gone away from trying to find cheap tubes after some "failures" when you put epoxy on the wraps

Mc's Bick refill "snip" method works well but the guys in the office look at you funny

I would start simple

What patterns are you thinking of tying ?

Most "tube" flys are streamers

here are two good books on the subject

http://www.netbooks.co.za/Main.asp?D...571880364+++++

http://www.netbooks.co.za/Main.asp?D...571884017+++++

as far as web ideas and options go

www.canadiantubeflies.com

is good

Post the pics of your creations

/d
    Much appreciated Denton.

I can't really say ito patterns. I first need to understand the whole process and how to connect the hook. Obviously streamers persé but I have some other ideas in the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    a very good supply of tubes are lollipops.

The "stick/handle" is hollow.
    It is a very hard plastic.
    does not "collapse" when tying and is very easily obtainable.
    Thanks Korrie do u first need to suck them?

Quote Originally Posted by AB1 View Post
    What about that South African guy with a tube fly company, he lives in Sweden, Norway or some other scandanavian place. Guides pike and so on.

Ja I remember vagely, Fly Mike or something,will search now now.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Hi Gerrit,

I've tied a few over the years and I now use the 'Clouser' extension on my Renzetti vice to use as the jaws to tie tubes - it makes life much easier when tying tubes. I used to tie Waddington style salmon flies many years back - a precursor of tube flies - they also worked a treat for English freshwater pike fishing and also in the saltwater as baitfish imitations for fish like pollack and bass.

Will revert with some more info in a quiet moment.

PS Johnsons ear bud stems make great cheap plastic tubes on which to experiment when starting out
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Hi Gerrit,

I've tied a few over the years and I now use the 'Clouser' extension on my Renzetti vice to use as the jaws to tie tubes - it makes life much easier when tying tubes. I used to tie Waddington style salmon flies many years back - a precursor of tube flies - they also worked a treat for English freshwater pike fishing and also in the saltwater as baitfish imitations for fish like pollack and bass.

Will revert with some more info in a quiet moment.

PS Johnsons ear bud stems make great cheap plastic tubes on which to experiment when starting out
    Thanks Chris, ear buds was exactly what I had in mind cause I used them as the tube to slide over my leader - Yarn indicators.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Simon Graham is the man. He ties a mean pike fly.

Quote Originally Posted by AB1 View Post

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Ps I had a meeting with Murray/FFU a couple of hours ago and FYI they stock the flexible Canadian Tube Company's (or whatever the Canadian company is called...) tubing - it seemed pretty cool but about R135 a packet...

I was actually there discussing the T+T switch rods and Ross light reels...wonderful stuff but nothing to please my bank manager
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post

Be very careful with ear bud tubes they collapse under the strain of the thread
    making threading the fly interesting
    !!
    /d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG